Home Unreal Engine

UE4 for Visualisation. Ideas and Processes

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys I'm in my first job as a full time Visualisation Artist using 3DSMAX & Vray. I started very amateur however I'm getting a lot better. I want to switch over to using UE4 visualisation exclusively for 3 reasons;

1) UE4 is faster. It takes longer to set up the scene, but once it is set up you can have videos and infinite renders, no dealing with render farms and waiting hours.

2) Market growth. More and more I'm seeing job postings for UE4 visualisation. At the moment I'd say the job postings are 50/50 between UE4 and VRAY and it's growing towards UE4.

3) Potential. I didn't do 4 years of uni just to do visualisation. UE4 opens up avenues for interactive design, which is where I'm really interested.

So first I want to talk about general approach and workflow and see what you guys think:

Materials: Poliigon and Megascans. 

Both are faster and better quality than making your own textures. Megascans focus more on organic materials while Polligon covers more traditional interior rendering. That being said both will be supplemented with substance designer for when you require a specific material. Together they cost about $50/mo which is nothing. If nothing else they are a quick way to start a material library.

Materials will be either 2K or 4K.

Models: 3DSMAX, Archiproducts.bim & Megascans.

Again megascans has the best organic 3D models you can get. As well as they Archiproducts.BIM is a great resource for 3D models of leading design brands. That being said they all need their topology rebuilt and don't come with textures. Still having orthographic views or even a 3D model makes recreating these models much easier. This is the most time consuming part of the process as I'm going to need a decent amount models.

Models are around 11K Polys.

Workflow:

Build basic layout in 3DSMAX and import to unreal. Populate with materials and models from personal library. Lighting, bake, render. Will also need to get pretty good with UE4 Cameras.

INTERESTING PART:

Okay so now for the main point of this thread. Brainstorming interactive visualisation ideas. The excitement of seeing a real-time photoreal apartment is long gone. We need more exciting scenes to engage users. The obvious ones are material & model changes in game. A good idea that isn't going anywhere soon.

Another one I've seen more rarely is day/dusk comparison. I would like to see a timelapse of lighting moving through the house or an interactive clock that accurately depicts the suns position.

A lot harder to do is letting users design their own homes in a sims type of way. What I noticed in my job is that users who design their own product are far more likely to purchase them (we're talking about $150,000 jobs) . Let them build and share their creations. Apply all the above the VR as well.

That's all I really have at the moment however, does anyone else have any thoughts?

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Unreal 4 is actually being used to do production art for films. 

https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/14777806/gdc-epic-rogue-one-star-wars-k2so

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That is actually insane. Meanwhile I'm doing a render that costs $1200. Why even bother with VRAY!?!?!
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character

@sprunghunt  - wow, thats super cool, anywhere one can find the whole talk, or is that it?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Ue4 already has a plugin tool that is currently being used for films.
    http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tools/real-time-rendering-changing-vfx-animation-production-153091.html

This is the future. I wonder what will happen to offline renderers.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Bletzkarn said:

That is actually insane. Meanwhile I'm doing a render that costs $1200. Why even bother with VRAY!?!?!
    VRAY for UE4 is on the way.
     https://80.lv/articles/vray-for-unreal-engine-4/

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping I would get away with not using VRAY anymore (rendering is too time consumptive and way too expensive). I don't see why you would use VRAY over unreal unless you already had massive material and model libraries set up. Argh I am just over VRAY!

If I had to quantify the advantages of both:

VRAY: 

- Easier to achieve photo-real results.
    - More powerful material shaders. 
    - Forest Pro
    - Built into 3dsMAX

Unreal:

Infinite Renders.
    - Instant Video saving thousands of hours and dollars.
    - Final results in editor.
    - Easy Ambient Animations (Trees)
    - Interactivity (VR + Walkthrough)
    - Blue Prints for more advanced interaction.

Mind you this is just after being told it's going to cost $5000 to render a low resolution fly through render in VRAY. Stuff Vray I'm making the move to unreal asap. Really the only thing holding it back for me is the 3DSMAX to unreal workflow (double UV's + Configuring Materials). which sounds like it will be solved soon anyway!
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    From this http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tools/real-time-rendering-changing-vfx-animation-production-153091.html - if anything Vray is going to be ever more popular. You seem to have a personal issue with the software from how you come across.

Additionally, bear in mind that Vray is a one off cost. Suitable for a studio that works all year, whilst UE4 is a 5% commercial cost from your profit on every single product... in the long term UE4 would be more expensive.

100 renders produced by Vray for £650.00 workstation license.
    100 renders produced by Vray at 5% cost if they were 1K each - 5K?

The future is no offline rendering, but Vray will be adopting their workflow to suit this, especially since they've just bought Corona.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Last time I checked, Ue4 is free for architectural use. 5% cost is for game publishing and profits.
  • PolyHertz
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Offline renders like Vray will be here to stay because they render with pure brute force, no pun intended. They can force renders of wildly unoptimized scenes that other real time rendering packages will crash into oblivion on. Plus for in depth compositing, I don't think Unreal can split out all of the many render elements that offline renders can.

I still love the argument of Unreal is so fast at render time! But it takes me +4 weeks to get my model into it, but look at the render time I've saved. Or Vray is too damn expensive, so I bought at $15,000 rig to render my unreal scenes on.

Datasmith is going to really bridge the gap in the time it takes to get into unreal, but they still haven't shown it on your a-typical client request of "I have this ArchiCAD file that my 16 year old nephew did for me and I want to see this all in real time by tomorrow morning" workflow.

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr said:
    From this http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tools/real-time-rendering-changing-vfx-animation-production-153091.html - if anything Vray is going to be ever more popular. You seem to have a personal issue with the software from how you come across.

Additionally, bear in mind that Vray is a one off cost. Suitable for a studio that works all year, whilst UE4 is a 5% commercial cost from your profit on every single product... in the long term UE4 would be more expensive.

100 renders produced by Vray for £650.00 workstation license.
    100 renders produced by Vray at 5% cost if they were 1K each - 5K?

The future is no offline rendering, but Vray will be adopting their workflow to suit this, especially since they've just bought Corona.
    My major issue is just the time it takes for a ray trace render - something that UE4 can render in 1/30th of a second takes vray 5 minutes. Obviously they use different algortihms shaders etc, but to the average person the difference is indistinguishable.

If VRAY makes the shift to real time rendering, than I will have absolutely 0 issue with VRAY.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Offline renders like Vray will be here to stay because they render with pure brute force, no pun intended. They can force renders of wildly unoptimized scenes that other real time rendering packages will crash into oblivion on. Plus for in depth compositing, I don't think Unreal can split out all of the many render elements that offline renders can.

I still love the argument of Unreal is so fast at render time! But it takes me +4 weeks to get my model into it, but look at the render time I've saved. Or Vray is too damn expensive, so I bought at $15,000 rig to render my unreal scenes on.

Datasmith is going to really bridge the gap in the time it takes to get into unreal, but they still haven't shown it on your a-typical client request of "I have this ArchiCAD file that my 16 year old nephew did for me and I want to see this all in real time by tomorrow morning" workflow.

I think $15,000 is a bit of a stretch. VRAY hardware is going to be just as expensive if not more. I know what you mean about VRAY handling unoptimized models. At work I render products from a range of manufacturers and the fact I can drop in a 15 year old dfx file and it still renders somewhat okay is pretty funny.

They simply need to optimize the process of getting your scenes into unreal, which you've already mentioned. I also think unreal handles material in a better way and is generally easier to use than 3DSMAX material system. 

Honestly I would love to be a game artist, but there is no industry in my country, so I go for viz. This makes me want to lean towards Unreal. In 5 years time I don't want to be sitting at a computer churning out renders, I want to be developing interactive apps for clients and immersive experiences.
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    I've been doing a VR project in Max/Corona/Unity a couple of weeks now and I find that the preparing part is pretty boring (cleaning + optimizing meshes, UVs, baking). Unity's GI isn't good enough to be of any use so I have to bake everything in Corona. Can Unreal produce "production ready" lighting without baking in an offline renderer? And I can see the benefits of Unity/Unreal when doing interiors (that are easier to make look good), but what if you need to do exteriors? Can you get trees and vegetation that actually look good for real and not just "good enough"?
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong said:
    I've been doing a VR project in Max/Corona/Unity a couple of weeks now and I find that the preparing part is pretty boring (cleaning + optimizing meshes, UVs, baking). Unity's GI isn't good enough to be of any use so I have to bake everything in Corona. Can Unreal produce "production ready" lighting without baking in an offline renderer? And I can see the benefits of Unity/Unreal when doing interiors (that are easier to make look good), but what if you need to do exteriors? Can you get trees and vegetation that actually look good for real and not just "good enough"?
    That's a good question and basically, Unreal is great at both of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3LtFrMAvQ4

Unreal has a greater range of GI options and also has decent plugins (not needed however). Out of the box I feel UE4 is better tuned.

As for Exterior...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clakekAHQx0

Long video but extremely interesting. They made a huge range of optimisations to the engine to allow for more realistic exterior rendering. At this point the limiting factor is not the engine but the quality of your materials and textures.

Unity can achieve similar results but as you have noticed it's a lot less straight forward and involves a lot of 3rd party plugins and software.

VRAY is also working with Unreal to get 1 click import/export between scenes.
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    Bletzkarn said:

Long video but extremely interesting. They made a huge range of optimisations to the engine to allow for more realistic exterior rendering. At this point the limiting factor is not the engine but the quality of your materials and textures.

Unity can achieve similar results but as you have noticed it's a lot less straight forward and involves a lot of 3rd party plugins and software.

Thanks. I always get discouraged when I see videos like that, but then I remember that the were made by teams or very experienced people with a lot of time on their hands.

I've seen this type of discussion before (on places like this and on archviz forums) and a few things that a lot of people seem to disregard is the fact that you can't just throw stuff into Unreal/Unity and get finished images. It takes a lot of preparation and time. Also, when doing archviz in VRay (or Corona in my case), you can get almost anything already modeled and ready to plop into a scene and be finished. I work at an architect firm and the architects are always changing their minds and every time it happens it's back to finding (or modeling) a model, prepare it for realtime. It takes time. And the biggest thing is: 95% of what I do, and many in the business do, is made for print. Setting up everything in Unreal, with people and tons of small adjustmenst, just to get 1 or 2 still images is just silly. The way it's going now, offline renderers will soon be "realtime" anyway, which removes the need for Unreal or Unity, unless you want interactivity.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong said:
    Bletzkarn said:

Thanks. I always get discouraged when I see videos like that, but then I remember that the were made by teams or very experienced people with a lot of time on their hands.

I've seen this type of discussion before (on places like this and on archviz forums) and a few things that a lot of people seem to disregard is the fact that you can't just throw stuff into Unreal/Unity and get finished images. It takes a lot of preparation and time. Also, when doing archviz in VRay (or Corona in my case), you can get almost anything already modeled and ready to plop into a scene and be finished. I work at an architect firm and the architects are always changing their minds and every time it happens it's back to finding (or modeling) a model, prepare it for realtime. It takes time. And the biggest thing is: 95% of what I do, and many in the business do, is made for print. Setting up everything in Unreal, with people and tons of small adjustmenst, just to get 1 or 2 still images is just silly. The way it's going now, offline renderers will soon be "realtime" anyway, which removes the need for Unreal or Unity, unless you want interactivity.
    I agree with you, I have to dozens of renders a week and VRAY is simply a lot faster. However I tried to render a promo video last week and was told it would cost $5000 to render on a renderfarm. Unreal could do this for FREE.

Most stuff is print presentation, but that will change over the next decade. The reason things move slowly is because senior artists don't like to change tools / workflows. You still see plenty of companies using photoshop to do renders, adding cut outs to images etc. So it only moves as fast as those artists retire in a lot of cases.

Regardless there is a growing place in the market for Unreal. At the moment there are as many traditional visualisation jobs as their are "Unreal Engine 4 Artist" jobs where I am. Smooth workflow between VRAY and Unreal will be key.

I believe that landscape was made with around 15 or so people. A lot of time went into coding the new features and going out on site to do photogammatry. I believe it would be possible for 1 person to make that landscape with pre made assets (and all the code is now there).

Maybe not the AI Deer!
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    there is also Datasmith for unreal in beta which will make it easier to send 3Ds Max + Vray scenes to unreal.