[UE4] WWI Mansion CGMA Class Project - By Instructor Clinton Crumpler

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
brandv3d polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone,

I'm taking a class with the CG Master Academy with Clinton Crumpler as the instructor and need to post my progress to get feedback from the community on helping it be an amazing project.  The class started 5 weeks ago and I'm posting my progress from now on and for the next 5 weeks until the end of the class. Here are my main references below and then some renders from where I started and where I am currently at.  If you have any time to look please add a quick comment or question that can help me make this one really great project. Thanks

-Brandon

Replies

• brandv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is where I am at week 4. I've been working on props and trim sheets. Any Critiques and Comment is very much appreciated. Don't hold back I need to know where there needs to be an improvement and I need to work harder at will post my UV's, as well as that is one weakness I am running into as well.  

Trim Sheet for wood pannels

Stairs made with quixel

Banister for stairs props low poly

Chair

WIP on a safe for one of the props

Hopefully this safe is going to turn out great using Substance Painter but I'm working on some work in Unreal getting the stairs looking more finished and get another step in the scene with some lighting and just more than a block out in Unreal moving forward from the Blockout meshes in Unreal above in the last post.
  • aclund3
    Online / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 2
    The bannister material seems a little flat/dull to me. In a rich setting like this I'd expect the wood to be smooth and highly polished (i.e. shiny, roughness towards the black) and then depending on use you might see more dust, etc. especially in the cavities.

The couch material needs a bit more texture and height variation to show what kind of cloth it really is. Its reading super generic right now. And for me, I'd add more buttons on the back, two just looks weird. Something more like the pink chair below.

You're doing good work so far, keep at it!
  • brandv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have been busy building this scene and haven't posted here in a while. Three more weeks left of class and here are some of my work as of now.

• Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn triangle
    looks insane. Really love the process pics too.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 2
    Stairs look great!
  • brandv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycounters,

I have some more updates from this scene I have been working on. These are 2 weeks worth of work. Hope you guys like them, and please critiques are always welcome. There is only 2 weeks left of the course so I need all the help I can get.  Thanks

• brandv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    These are from Week 8 of the 10 week class. Most of these are all lighting changes and post-processing. 

First basic lighting, but without the actual light lamps.

Added some light fixtures and some blacklight lights (That I'm taking out later)

This is the current state of lighting. I got rid of the blue lights because it doesn't fit the time period of the WWI era.

Here are some final shots of the safe prop on the bottom of the stairs.

Thanks for looking and please any comments are welcome.
  • LorasTyrell
    The roughness on your wood is really nice, in general I love the texture work in this project! You could crank up the roughness contrast on the safe though. What irks me is that your assets and textures are so good, but the lighting in the last post does not present it in a good way. I know you're probably still working on the light but I hope you manage to find a balance that's realistic but also brings out the best of your textures. Maybe turn down the saturation of the lights a little, get some ambient occlusion in there.... This is gonna look amazing when you're done!
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, definitely research good lighting and get lots of reference. The lighting and the repeating wall textures are what's really bringing the piece down. Your stairs and safe both look great! Try to get the same amount of detail that was put into the stairs into the rest of the scene. 
  • brandv3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I adjusted the lighting and made a mix of night indoor and an outdoor sun going down directional light. I made a Gif of the old lighting vs. the new lighting. Tomorrow is the last day of the class but this is not the end of the scene. I am going to continue working on it for probably several more weeks, but I just wanted to post an update and see what you guys thought. 

GIF of lighting: ( Most yellow is the old one) Most updated one is on the top of this post.

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 2
    Last? (Darkest) one looks best for lighting IMO. Most contrast with the artificial lights. Nice job!