Home Technical Talk

How does one create a Trimsheet for procedural Textures?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
I am completely new to creating textures for games or any model and i am wanting to know more about trimsheets and texturing them so i can create pretty low poly assets. I am struggling with learning as there is no video tutorial or someone that talks about creating them and the textures on top. I have alot of trouble learning and reading up any information is impossible for me to understand. (dyslexic)

I am willing to pay someone to show me the process because i am stuck. From creating the trimsheet and texturing it like in this
http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2015/presentations/Olsen_Morten_TheUltimateTrim.pdf

Please i hope someone knows something or replies because i have been stuck on this for over a week.
Thank you

Replies

• Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    Firstly, that is not a suitable subject for someone who is completely new to texturing.

Secondly, I'm sure someone here would be happy to help you, but no one can do that unless you provide an exact and detailed description of what the problem actually is.

For anyone who understands the fundamentals of texturing and baking, the PDF provides all the information necessary, so my suggestion for now would be for you to study the fundamentals and come back to this when you've progressed (it might take quite a long time).
    I know about baking etc, it is the texturing part i am stuck on and i have done a little but not like this.. Sure you can say it shows all the information needed but without some narration of what to do i am clueless. 
    I have this made:
    http://imgur.com/zDBEn5G
    http://imgur.com/Hnim9Ik
    and i can get it to work i just don't know what i need  so to to get that defuse map and specular like that in the pdf.

The exact problem is creating the defuse and specular map like in the PDF.
    I have no clue how to do it from using the trimsheet or how to start it. I can not wrap my head around it as i don't know and don't understand it because i am dyslexic which is causing so many problems. Do i go into Photoshop and paint the textures over it or so i use substance painter. I am not sure how to do it. Yes there are many examples of trimsheets etc but there are almost none explaining the process from start to finish like in that PDF
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    Diffuse and specular maps are completely irrelevant to the process. That's why the PDF doesn't go into detail about them.

It doesn't matter which software you use to make those maps; just make them any way whatsoever. Of course, this requires you to understand the basics of what those maps are in the first place.

If you make the diffuse map red, the final output will be red. If you put polka dots in the diffuse map, the final output will have polka dots. There's really nothing more to it than that.
    I understand that but making the defuse for the trimsheet is the one i cant get my head around with what processes need to be done to create it. I am not sure if an AO map was baked and used for it. If someone can show how to make the defuse for the trimsheet i would be find and beable to process it as still i am not understanding i know that what ever colour it is but the ones used are gray etc so they can be changed later on to.
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Believe it or not, I downloaded that GDC presentation months ago and was going to learn the trim technique, but somehow forgot. Your post made me go back to that. So thx.

Now onto your question about creating the diffuse and specular map, or rather, how they dynamically blend multiple texture together. I don't see them being too hard to understand, let me try to explain  ( @perna , do correct me if I am wrong):

So the slide mention, in the simple form, you take vertex colour on the model, use blend mode "multiply" on it against a manually created or procedurally generated paintstroke mask.

What I believe the presentation omits, is that you don't create the diffuse and specular map from thin air. The slide only show you what the shader does: it blends multiple textures, but you still need to create those textures.

So here, I am pretty sure they have created both the green and blue textures (manually painted or procedurally generated). They are just using vertex colour to blend these 2 textures.

BUT, it would be a pain to create random vertex color for each model. So they cheated: by mixing a procedural mask with (likely plain) vertex color, so they always got a randomised input:

This is the first step (vertex colour + procedural noise).

This is the second step (output vertex colour * paintstroke map)

This is the last step (blending multiple textures, output as diffuse map, in real-time, in engine).

So back to @perna response, yes, you still create your texture normally (manually paint or procedural, whichever you fancy, see earlier slides where they are probably blending a plastic with a brick wall).

Diffuse and specular maps are completely irrelevant to the process. That's why the PDF doesn't go into detail about them.

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    @bitinn you can easily modify vertex colors in-engine until the cows come home. it's incredibly common practice.