Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Courtyard Environment

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
So I'm started on an environment project today and want to get into the habit of posting at least every other day with my progress. The project is kinda related to another neoclassical environment project I was working on, but I had this scene in mind that I wanted to get done for portfolio. The scene is going to be a courtyard in a palladian/neoclassical style. The scene will end up in Unreal Engine.

This is the moodboard I got so far, with the style of architecture I want to work with. The courtyard I'm making will be with more green in it, and not just pavement and as cramped:

This is the blockout process for today, still deciding on how the buildings form will be, but I think the general shape is working. The roofs I'm still trying to figure out, but it will be more clear when I have carved some windows out to get some more shape to it.
The stairs leads up to the main door and terrace and in the other end there is stairs leading down to the car park area and port to outside. To one side the archs leads out to a hedge/garden, the other side the arch is in a hallway, trying to decide if I should have windows in there, or just keep it as a wall. Think I might also make the courtyard a bit longer then it is now.

Replies

• rel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rel polycounter lvl 6
    Interesting start, can't wait to see where this goes! Do you have any plans for the blank walls in the second shot? 
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they won't be blank, they will be a building facade with windows, I just haven't gotten around blocking that part out, might want to colour code my blockout so I know what is 'done'.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the blockout, been working on the archs and getting the general shape and some placeholder windows. Is also working on making the parts more modular, so I can have sets to put together, and adjust the scaling of areas according.

Playing with ideas for the lawn in the middle, if I should have benches or statues there, or something else. Not too sure about the path through it as well.

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got back and worked on the scene, had a little interruption that made me not able to work on it, but I'm back again on it.

Been working on making some of the assets game ready and moved parts of it into unreal engine and been adjusting the scale of railings and stairs, and adding some wip textures on parts of it.

Being able to run inside the scene gives a lot better feel of it then viewing it in 3ds max, and it's fun. ;)

I'm dreading the part with the foliage, but ah well.