Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance Practice: How am I doing?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
MrRstar polycounter lvl 7
I just wanted to get some feedback on these two materials. they are both done solely with substance designer. 

The First is a tile floor that was inspired by one of my old workplaces.

The second is what I got after improving on a tutorial I was watching.

Replies

• Seal40k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seal40k polycounter lvl 6
    For a first try you made a good start, I just believe there are a couple of things you cound improve on. Here are some examples.

For the Tiles:
    - You should mask out the space between the tiles with an edge detect note. Right now this are is just plaint black. You should add  noise to your normal map (fractle some base for example) so that they stand out more.

- You could add a gradient to the single tiles so they look a a bit shifted to one side. Also a really light random rotation for each tile would make this look more realistic.

- It looks like the roughness is evenly distributed over the material with no variation at all. you could blend the roughness again with another noise to add variation to that.

For the Wood.
    - The knots look to round and perfect. You should use a warp note with a perlin noise maybe to make this look more natural.

-The vertical cuts look to procedual. you should blend in another pattern for the break up.

Those are just some suggestions that are hopefully helpfull for you.