Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

G.E. Soldier - GEDM Portfolio Project

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6

Hello Polycount!

I am the Lead Character Artist on Glass Egg Character Portfolio Project.

This is the first game character that I built with my amazing team at Glass Egg Digital Media. I am responsible for the head, arms, lighting, rendering, and overall look of the character.

Nguyen Ngoc Bao did the concept. 

Lân Ngô did all the hard surface parts. 

HuAnh Vu did the body armor and bags. 

Dương Nguyễn Minh Thuận did the pants, knee pads, gloves, and waist belts. 

Nguyen Anh Duy did the boots, bags, and tattoos.

Real-time rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3.

High-res images of the head & arms on my Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XW52R

Real-time Demo in Marmoset Toolbag 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4XHo19NGpQ

Real-time Demo in UE4https://youtu.be/qfAbOxubo1k

Turntable video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESM6qWShG88

Replies

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Great work, thanks for sharing! :)
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
  • Metemer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metemer vertex
    Wow, teamwork makes the dream work. Good work by all means, but I won't lie, I'm more impressed that so many of you could work together and make the result this... consistent. It doesn't look like it was made by so many people, and that's a good thing.

I'd actually like to learn more about your workflow as a team. Did only one person work on it at a time, from start until they were finished? If not, how did you make sure all the pieces would fit together? I'm a noob so sorry if this is utterly obvious to everyone else.
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metemer said:
    Wow, teamwork makes the dream work. Good work by all means, but I won't lie, I'm more impressed that so many of you could work together and make the result this... consistent. It doesn't look like it was made by so many people, and that's a good thing.

I'd actually like to learn more about your workflow as a team. Did only one person work on it at a time, from start until they were finished? If not, how did you make sure all the pieces would fit together? I'm a noob so sorry if this is utterly obvious to everyone else.
    @Jakub & @CybranM: Thank you!

@Metemer: I'm glad someone has finally pointed this out. We are building a character team from the ground, so the first thing we wanted to learn is "how to work as a team", and this is the reason why we put many artists to work on one character. The result must have a cohesive look, and not look like many different artists are involved.

The NDA does not allow me to tell you about our pipeline but I would say there was no secret. It was a team effort, and I'm really proud of my team :blush:.  We did have a lot of "Art check" to make sure all the pieces fit together from sculpting to texturing.
  • rafregidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rafregidor vertex
    Congrats to all involved! Would like to ask if  the materials you have in the marmoset scene will be further optimized when porting it to unreal?
    Or the unreal version of this one would have the same setup and number of unique materials? I'm also intrigued if he has body mesh inside? or the hands and head are cut off and are "stitched" as one air tight mesh? And if the former would be better for future rigging and skinning?
    Again congrats on this guys!
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to all involved! Would like to ask if  the materials you have in the marmoset scene will be further optimized when porting it to unreal?
    Or the unreal version of this one would have the same setup and number of unique materials? I'm also intrigued if he has body mesh inside? or the hands and head are cut off and are "stitched" as one air tight mesh? And if the former would be better for future rigging and skinning?
    @rafregidor: Thank you! Since this is just a portfolio project, we are not planning to port this character into Unreal. Marmoset Toolbag 3 is our choice for now.

No, he does not have body mesh inside. We removed all the parts that we don't see on the viewport to reduce polycount and for better skinning.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    He looks awesome, I was wondering how you guys did the eyebrows?
  • rafregidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rafregidor vertex
    rayle1112 said:
    @rafregidor: Thank you! Since this is just a portfolio project, we are not planning to port this character into Unreal. Marmoset Toolbag 3 is our choice for now.

No, he does not have body mesh inside. We removed all the parts that we can't see on the viewport to reduce polycount and for better skinning.
    Thanks a lot for the clarification. Looking forward to all upcoming characters your awesome team will make. Cheers!
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray said:
    He looks awesome, I was wondering how you guys did the eyebrows?
    @Sunray: The eyebrows are on texture, they are not real geometries.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
  • SrgFlamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SrgFlamez polycounter lvl 7
    Dude he looks so awesome. Have you thought about trying to put out a female equivalent to show some variation in troops. Also, it would probably please the ladies to see a female representation of a military figure.

Regardless, this is some gorgeous looking work.
  • Isunoj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work. I had the impression that the forearm is a bit bloob but it may just be my impression.  :D
    Can you tell us a bit about how the skin details were made?
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone,

Small update!! Here is a render test of the soldier inside Unreal Engine 4. Let me know your thoughts!

https://youtu.be/qfAbOxubo1k

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really nice man I would put the chromatic aberration a bit down tho it's quite extreme now.
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Wow ! What are the size of the textures ?
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball said:
    Wow ! What are the size of the textures ?
    4k for the face :)