Home Adobe Substance

Wood pattern using Substance

nefarius
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
nefarius null
Hello all! I am new in Substance Painter and Substance designer and now I am trying to make my first project using only these two products for texturing. It will be a medieval wooden crossbow.
And it was easy to find information about making metal texture but i've encountered some problems with wooden part. I want to create coninuous realistic wooden pattern on the crossbow base with stripes on sides seamlessly connecting with its back side. Now i have been trying to find any tutorials how to do that and i was not successful. Only one way that i see now is to draw it by hand and i can do that but i want to know if there any simple way of doing that.
Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Replies

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    You can make a realistic wooden texture in sd using only nodes. If you want things to be seamless you need good unwrapping and careful scaling placing on the grid. Here is a tileable texture tutorial for wood. You can skip the part where he offsets the wood planks for the asset you want.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEkDYaopw4
  • nefarius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nefarius null
    Larry said:
    You can make a realistic wooden texture in sd using only nodes. If you want things to be seamless you need good unwrapping and careful scaling placing on the grid. Here is a tileable texture tutorial for wood. You can skip the part where he offsets the wood planks for the asset you want.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEkDYaopw4

Thank you for reply , video is very helpful but still i have some questions. I want to create "wooden rings" pattern on back part of crossbow's handle and make it seamlessly with its sides. Is there any way to do that?
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Yes, take the uv shells of the main part and the sides, and snap them at the same place in the grid,but keep them as 2 seperate uv shells. This way one starts exactly where the other one ends but you also get proper lightimg from the edge
  • nefarius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nefarius null
    Larry said:
    Yes, take the uv shells of the main part and the sides, and snap them at the same place in the grid,but keep them as 2 seperate uv shells. This way one starts exactly where the other one ends but you also get proper lightimg from the edge
    Thanks for reply, i will try :)