Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Red Hallway Afternoon

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
Hey, guys. Here's a quick environment I did to practice more with Substance Designer.  I really enjoyed making something that was clean and warm looking for once instead of another dirty environment :D 

Here's the original picture I used for reference. I had no idea how to recreate the floor in Designer, so I would love some advice on that. Thank you.

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Not sure I'd describe it as "sunny" as it looks pretty well out of the sun and dark to me. Nice though!
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice work on this, especially the carpets!  One thing that's standing out to me is the wall and trim materials. They seem to be kind of flat, and could probably use a small amount of variance in the roughness map.  Also, you can see in the photo reference that the trim is a bit more glossy than the wall in real life. This is due to the underlying materials and how they accept paint differently. I'd try making those materials slightly different as well.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radumitroi polycounter lvl 6
    I get that you're going for a clean look, but you should add some some variance in the floor's roughness to break up some of these reflections, you can see it in the third image. Maybe add some wiping residue, as if someone has cleaned that floor with a mop or something. It will add some variance in you roughness, while still maintaining the clean look.
  • Dreyzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
    Not sure I'd describe it as "sunny" as it looks pretty well out of the sun and dark to me. Nice though!
    Thanks. Yeah, I guess it does look more like an afternoon setting.
    aclund3 said:
    Really nice work on this, especially the carpets!  One thing that's standing out to me is the wall and trim materials. They seem to be kind of flat, and could probably use a small amount of variance in the roughness map.  Also, you can see in the photo reference that the trim is a bit more glossy than the wall in real life. This is due to the underlying materials and how they accept paint differently. I'd try making those materials slightly different as well.
    Yep I see what you mean about the materials and the trim. The trim doesn't stand out and sorta blends in with the wall. I'm still learning Designer, so I should look more into researching real world materials.

I get that you're going for a clean look, but you should add some some variance in the floor's roughness to break up some of these reflections, you can see it in the third image. Maybe add some wiping residue, as if someone has cleaned that floor with a mop or something. It will add some variance in you roughness, while still maintaining the clean look.
    The floor probably bugged me the most. The roughness seemed alright at first, but it ended up not being very noticeable. The third screenshot is a great example since It's reflecting like a perfect mirror. I like the idea of adding the mop residue, I'll give that a shot and see how it looks.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It means a lot. :smile:
  • Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with aclund3 with the wall material and trim. Maybe create a subtle plaster or very light bumpy normal map to help add to the roughness and variation. Also maybe adjust some of the AO? The pictures in the first photo seems off while against the wall, either cause the wall material is flat or if the AO behind it needs to be increased. But so far so good, it's coming along great, keep up the good work!