Home Technical Talk

Cryengine/Amazon Lumberyard-How to create soft shadows from sun?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I am currently giving Amazon Lumberyard a go. How do I create soft shadows from the sun? I have posted this on the amazon Lumberyard forums and I haven't gotten a reply and I need to get a small project started with it. Is this possible at all? Since Lumberyard is a fork of the Cryengine, to anyone who is familiar with Cryengine, how was this done? 
I tried fiddling with the r_shadows jittering, no soft shadows.
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC4/Shadows+in+CryENGINE

No soft shadows after changing r_ShadowsAdaptationSize

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I don't use lumberjard but from what I see in the doc that you linked, they can all have soft shadows.

"Work for projected lights, point lights (cube map or unwrapped cube map), and directional lights (CSM)"

"
    Point light sources cast hard shadows. This often looks unnatural since real light sources have some volume which leads to soft shadows. With shadow maps you can mimic soft shadows by filtering the result of the shadow map lookup (Percentage Closer Filtering, often natively supported by graphics hardware). With multiple samples the quality can be further improved but this can slow down rendering."
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    There is soft shadow but it isn't very noticeable.. looks very subtle. I suspect this can only be done by tweaking code or hidden settings to get desired results.