Home Technical Talk

Retopologzing Complex Mechanical Objects - Question

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
I've been working on some detailed spaceships recently and am wondering if I'm doing the correct method for re-topology. I generally try to keep things "closed" as much as possible. In other words I try and make the low poly mesh encompass as many objects as possible. Is there any advantage of retopologizing smaller pieces separatly and having them overlap the biggest mesh pieces. I've seen this done in character models where the belt for example would be a separate piece on the same texture sheet; when there is the possibility of making the jacket and belt one mesh. I'm assuming it will look cleaner when I go into substance painter since the material wont have weird edges where the two meshes connect.

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    the "only" reason to separate objects is:
    - you need to animate, hide, show or move the object somehow.
    - you need to apply a different material/shader. 
    - texture and UV simplicity.

unless any of those applies, I dont really see a problem with keeping i closed. on the other hand, its not really dangerous or bad to separate objects into matcher or parts either.
    of course there are other reasons as well, but those are most likely the main three.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    lotet said:
    the "only" reason to separate objects is:
    - you need to animate, hide, show or move the object somehow.
    - you need to apply a different material/shader. 
    - texture and UV simplicity.

unless any of those applies, I dont really see a problem with keeping i closed. on the other hand, its not really dangerous or bad to separate objects into matcher or parts either.
    of course there are other reasons as well, but those are most likely the main three.
    I see, that makes a lot of sense. I think the big reason for me would be the materials and the fact that I plan to animate the object. Thank you!