Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Phe: Stylised character *help and critique needed*

Hi everyone this is my first post on polycount so sorry if I miss out any details or explanations etc...
I am currently studying a MA and the character I am working on is for my FMP which is a game (you can check out our dev blog here: http://idotrigames.wixsite.com/blog
I've been learning 3D for around 4-5 years but I still consider myself a novice when it comes to somethings; mainly characters as I don't tend to make them too often (hence the help and critique needed in the title).

Current stage: (look below for process and more details)

The character I am working on is called Phe (they are gender neutral); here's the concept I am working from atm:

This is still subject to change as the art style might change as production of the game continues.

Here's the orthographics and 3/4 view I am working from (I know they are far from perfect)

Here is what I have so far: (trust be this is better that the other 2 attempts that I did before this one)

*The reference images at the side are examples to help me with topology*

The programs I will be using are:
  • 3DS Max for modelling
  • Possibly Zbrush (I am a massive noob and only just manage to move around Zbrush let alone model something in it)
  • Photoshop and 3D coat for texturing
  • UE4 for "displaying"

*haven't decided how I will do the hair yet I imagine a combination of modeled parts and hair cards.*

Any help or critique is greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• Amber_Jamieson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Update*
    I spoke to a friend and they did a quick paint over to show me how I needed to fix the eye sockets.

I moved onto fixing the model to match this but I was still having trouble with fitting an eye ball into the socket so I got some more help from a friend and the suggested looking at Christina Ricci as she has a similar profile I used this image as reference:

I then fixed the model up a little in 3ds max then took it into zbrush for some more tweaking.
    This is the stage I am at now:

I did a quick test bake to see how well the high baked onto the low. The hair at the top is not mine I've stolen it from another model temporarily.
    I now going to do some quick paintovers to make sure the facial structure is correct to my concept (move the eyebrows, eyes, nose, etc...)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks good. Strangely the ears seem to fit with the character :) The body proportions look good in the concept  sketch.  Keep going. Oh yeah, might be good to put a copy of an updated image first. That will change the preview and probably attract more comments.
    Cheers

• Amber_Jamieson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *UPDATE*
    First off this is a zbrush screenshot of me trying to get those damn eyeballs correct...

This is a marmoset render showing the bakes including one with thick eyebrows (I decided to have these more subtle in the normal map later and re-sculpted them.)

After the face was in a  place I was mildly happy with I moved onto the body. I stole the body from a previous model to work off of as a base.

I also worked on the hair by sculpting on a sphere in zbrush and then re-topped it. I started to edit the base body to suit the character design better.

Here's the "final" mesh (I will most likely work into this again at some point). I also took all of the body into zbrush and baked them out too.

Heres the mesh with basic textures on it.

And Phe in UE4 as the playable character.

I will be working on the textures to get them to a fairly finished state.
    Any critique is welcome even if it is to start again I don't mind it just won't be worked on for a little while.