Home Unreal Engine

Viewport image appears blurry

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
I don't recall having this issue in older versions of UE4 and previous - in 4.15 (with Epic's 'Photo Realistic Character' project loaded - if that makes a difference) the main editor viewport renders blurry with a flickering noise overlay, apparently attributed to temporal AA. i can turn this off via settings -> engine scalability -> post processing but that gets rid of a number of things, including any kind of AA. playing around with the AA method in the project settings also does not change it for the better.

on the other hand, secondary viewports used for the asset inspector (or whatever this is called in UE) render fine with nice AA. how do i get that for the main view?

this is how it looks in comparison:

i basically want the AA-quality from the righthand side for all viewports. else i'll need to get me some glasses pretty soon!

side note - this has been an annoyance for ever - is there a way to spawn the inspector windows with a camera FOV set to something else than 90? this always needs correcting. i'd be happy to just override the global camera default to make this work since i tend to spawn a great many of these views as opposed to creating game cameras.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Are you looking through a cinematic camera in the viewport?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Obscura said:
    Are you looking through a cinematic camera in the viewport?
    must be an early color film camera recording to 8mm if so... ;)

but no - not sure - i'm just the asset monkey. engines are the devils work! :s

so, it's the normal 'perspective 'viewport camera that exhibits this behaviour. neither game view nor cinematic preview are ticked from the dropdown. game looks identically blurry when playing it.

just compared rendering with 4.12.2 and there with the same project settings for AA and same options (un) ticked from the perspective dropdown it looks fine.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it only happens when you play. I missed this detail previously. Make sure all your quality settings are set to maximum - engine scalability. I remember when Unreal 4 just came out some people had similar issue when they pressed play. It dropped to a lower screen percentage.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/167476/objects-blurry-when-playing.html

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i had a look again and found that it's a setting within the scene (provided by epic) - there's a bunch of postprocess volumes in there and one of them contains a left-behind DOF setting. i'm still not back to nice looking anti-aliased viewport that matches the asset view like i had it in 4.12 but at least it's no longer flickering and blurry at the same time!

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was my thought with the cinematic camera. The circle DOF, thats why I was asking about it. After this, I would check out the screen percentage settings in those post process volumes.