Home Technical Talk

Render to Texture problem, 3ds Max 2018

KangarooSwag
vertex
Hello, I hope I have put this in the right thread.

I recently upgraded to 3ds Max 2018, coming from the problematic 3ds Max 2014.

However, I have encountered a problem when rendering maps on a small box model I have made. Basically (and unlike what I experienced with the older version of max) the render seems to only be taking into account the current side of the model, and not the entirety. 

For example, this is how the model looks in the viewport, mapped, triangulated, projection applied, everything.

For reference, the UV's look like so:

However, when I go to render out normal maps -

I'm aware I've made some rookie mistake, but what have I missed? I'm going to assume that something is wrong with the way the normals are set out.. or something.

Thankyou for any assistance! As I said above I never had this issue with 2014, so I think that I missed a setting somewhere.

Thankyou.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Thats just the preview window lying. Seriously. If you open up the baked map (if you didnt press save manually on this image) you'll see it actually looks like a normal map and has all sides.
  • loshmiii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loshmiii polycounter lvl 7
    As Obscura said that is just preview of your model rendered in frames of uv map and it is completely unusable.

Normal map you are looking for is saved on location that you can see when you open Render To Texture dialog (for example my is Documents/3dsMax/sceneassets/ images, your is probably the same). On that location you will be able to find your normal map and it is probably .tga file format.