Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Alchemist's Sword (C&C Wanted)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DallanP polycounter lvl 8
Hi All!

I am just about finished up with another project! I am looking for some critique before I do another final pass with the sword to fix any critique that people offer. After that Ill be posting it up on my portfolio.

I designed the sword with the idea of having to chemicals mix together and eject fire in an exothermic reaction. When the wielder twists the metal part of the handle, the plunger moves up squeezing out liquid into the tube on the blade, igniting it on fire.

To make the sword model, I started out with a loose base in 3ds max. I brought it into Zbrush to finish off the highpoly model. After that I took it back into 3ds max where I retopo'd it and uv'd it. I took it into substance to bake it and texture it. Then I did my final rendering in marmoset 2.

I had a little bit of trouble trying to get the liquid in the chamber to be the right amount of transparent in marmoset, so I went ahead and just made it solid for the time being. If anyone has any insight that'd be fantastic.

Thanks!

Replies

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Interesting concept.
    Yes the liquids look like ink now if they are completely opaque.
    Easy solution, upgrade to Toolbag 3 ;) In TB2 try a transparent material with a bit of diffuse and a secondary reflection. Maybe add a very subtle emission, or even add some kind of ice/crystal inside the fluid.