Home Technical Talk

Procedural leaf venation. How to?

yursiv
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
yursiv polycounter lvl 10
Hi.
I`m wondering is there soft or workflow for creating leaf venation procedurally. Texture or 3d model, doesnt matter.
For example reticular venation:

I know that it can me maid with voronoi cells, but i dont know how to seamlessly join little cells with big ones. Also how quickly add variation to veins  thickness.
Any ideas? Thank you!

P.S. Here some other examples:

Replies

• Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    You don't do this with Voronoi cells but L-Systems, they're used to make anything that has a parent>child pattern where one line gives other lines which gives other lines etc...

The only software (i know of) that does this and goes deeper in L-System implementation when it comes to proceduralism is Houdini. Substance Designer doesn't allow this workflow because iirc the FX-Map doesn't allow you to do for loop operations, or something like that (had this conversation two years ago, i think it was something in those lines).

Gonna be a tough challenge, so good luck !
  • yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Fansub!
    Yes, it looks like L-Systems is what i need. I was thinking about Maya`s Paint Effects, based on L-Systems.
    But Paint Effects do not allow to connect "veins" with each other.
    And unfortunatly i`m not familiar with Houdini((< and it is complex software AFAIK. 
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    A quick google should give you some starting point results :)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42257676/l-systems-and-the-stack-in-maya

https://github.com/docwhite/LSystemsMaya

Also just type "L-System Maya" in google image, you'll get a dozen of blogs of people who already did this. Just try to see how they implemented it and see if you can, too. This would most likely require you to install a script, or sometimes to tweak one. There are softwares that are specifically dedicated to creating vegetation, but i don't know any except speedtree, and have no idea if they would help in your specific case :)
  • yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, again, Fansub. Maybe i should learn L-system little bit and try implement them to my problem
    Still hope there is ready solution for it.

• yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In case, somebody interested. 
    I decided to stick to Blender and Sverchok addon.
    Here first results. I use Voronoi cells