Home Technical Talk

[maya] Disable Component in object/component mode

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
micropolius polycounter lvl 3
Hi polycount,
Question : Maya related : Is it possible to disable the component function in (F8) object/component toggle.
Is there a script that allows me to select in ''object'' mode only?  I find it confusing and annoying. 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a little confused about what you're asking here, maybe it's a difference in how you and i work.

Personally I only use F8 when I want to work on multiple objects in component mode. To move between modes, I use the standard right click marking menu in a quick snap motion.

For example, I'm in vertex mode on object A, and I left click on object B. Object A is now totally unselected and Object B is selected and in object mode.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Confused too. Is it like when you go to Object Mode, but you realize only after that you right clicked over that wrong model? Are you specifically just wanting to change the hotkey?

If you have Maya 2016 or newer you can switch modes with the Modeling Toolkit, click the buttons instead of strange menus or hotkeys.
  • micropolius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Butthair and ThrottleKitty. Thanks for the reply.

My excuses. Let me explain....I have customized maya to mimic the way I work in 3dsmax.  Working in max for me it's like playing piano.. I have developed muscle memory and I can't get rid of it.  

This is how I've set up my hotkeys in Max.
    Hotkey 1 = vertex    ((selects the vertex)
    Hotkey 2 = edge   (selects the edge)
    Hotkey 3 = face     (selects the face)
    hotkey 4 = object  (selects the object)

My hotkeys in Maya.
    Hotkey 1 = vertex    
    Hotkey 2 = edge   
    Hotkey 3 = face
    hotkey 4 = object / component toggle.  (F8)   <---- change to object only.

Is there a script or a runtime command that allows me to select the object only without the component toggle option.
    So when I hit 4 on my keyboard... I want to tell maya to select object only. 
    When I accidently double tap hotkey 4..... maya won't switch to component mode.

I hope this makes sense!

• eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos polycounter lvl 7
    Not sure if it's what you're looking for but try this command:
    setSelectMode components Components; selectMode -object;

• micropolius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos  You got it. That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!! :)