Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please delete

EVF
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EVF polycounter lvl 3
Sorry, I have yet to figure out how to delete things here...

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Yes,  I'd be peeved, but I am comfortabel with it.  That's speaking as someone who is comfortable with doing some concept art.
  • EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    Brian "Panda" Choi  Why peeved?  not enough details?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes.  The more the merrier.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the same time, I would expect most artists worth their salt to be able to extrapolate.

The issue of whether drawing is needed for 3D artists is a war unto itself./
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Some studios want a high degree of detail, this way they control the final look from the start.

But I've worked at places where there's only so many concept artists and detailing is tedious. In this scenario we had a style guide that helped the 3D team keep a consistent art style, especially when it comes to details. 

For the first picture, I'd be okay with this level of rendering, the major problems are solved - lighting, composition, color, etc.
    The second picture is a little more painterly, the detail level doesn't match the first one. There's also the consideration of water. This is a still image, but moving through water will look different. 

Concept artists tend to have subtle variations in their style and since the end product is 3D, the concern is on that side of production. If the styles don't match exactly it's no big deal.

If this is the only concept for the project, then detailing is essential. But if there is already a 3d style estalished, details are less important, to an extent (referring to the lacking detail of the 2nd concept)

• EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @Butthair
    Thanks for the answer! yes, these are the only 2concept needed, I uploaded the first callout sheet on the thread link if you're curious.
    Will take into consideration what you said about #2 being too painterly
    Brian "Panda" Choi  the more the merrier, I'll load up the callout sheets, thanks for your time :)
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Looking at the callouts from artstation, the black and white sketches, I like them a lot. They are clear, there's a lot of information regarding staging and contrast. Because I would be taking them to 3D, color and material would be something I need to solve since I can't infer much from the B/W callouts. That being said, I would ask the concept artist if there was something to note in that category.

If there is extra notes for material/color, I would include those - either a short note saying what it is or else a small thumbnail shot of the kind of idea for the material.
    https://www.videogamesartwork.com/games/elder-scrolls-online/coldharbour-props
    From elder scrolls, the link is to a concept that would be in the jist of what I'm going after. I don't care that it's in color, but that there are labels for things so there isn't a question about it, it's there in text, clear as day. Also there is texture reference included for the kinda of look that the materials have 

• EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @Butthair  Thank you very much for the help, I'll make sure to include labels, notes on material, or thumbnail textures.
    The link helps a lot, thanks for taking the time!
    Trying the look at your work but I get warning sign instead of pics...