Home Technical Talk

Am I on the right path? : How to create low-poly modeling?

alex_kim
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
alex_kim polycounter lvl 2
Hello, people.

Several days ago, I asked evaluation of my work ( http://polycount.com/discussion/189339/low-poly-would-you-please-evaluate-my-work/p1?new=1 )
Also, I received thankful feedback. The conclusion is... I should understand modern day's work flow of creating low-poly modeling.

I searched and studied... and I still feel confusing. This is what I understand...

1. Create mesh such as AK 47, or Audi R8 as best quality as possible. In this stage, I have to use a lot of polygons to create.
2. Retopology it. 
3. Create the UV map for both original and retopology version.
4. Bake it to create normal map
5. Apply normal map onto retopology version + color map.
6. Use PBR render to render better. 

Am I on the right path?

By the way, I am looking for the junior position in the mobile game companies in the Canada...
If I post my article in the wrong place, please tell me, I shall move it as fast as possible.

Many thanks.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Having looked at your original thread I would say that worrying about the workflow shouldn't be your primary concern at the moment. Your example is far below the bar of modern standards.

You would be much better served concentrating on all the stages of the workflow and the core fundamentals: learn to model/texture/shadel to today's standards. Use small focused projects. Gradually build up complexity on projects. Don't overreach to begin with but still challenge your current skillset. It might take a year or 2(or more) but it will better prepare you for entering the industry. Have a look at some artstation portfolios of professional artists in a similar role to what you have in mind and aim for that quality.
  • alex_kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having looked at your original thread I would say that worrying about the workflow shouldn't be your primary concern at the moment. Your example is far below the bar of modern standards.

You would be much better served concentrating on all the stages of the workflow and the core fundamentals: learn to model/texture/shadel to today's standards. Use small focused projects. Gradually build up complexity on projects. Don't overreach to begin with but still challenge your current skillset. It might take a year or 2(or more) but it will better prepare you for entering the industry. Have a look at some artstation portfolios of professional artists in a similar role to what you have in mind and aim for that quality.

I guess I have to face the truth.

You are right. Right now, challenging complicated mesh such as human anatomy is just suicide. 
    Right now, I am try to create ak-47 as best as possible.

Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks.
  • alex_kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

By the way, mind if I ask one more question?

How many hours did you practice per a day when you were beginner of 3D art ?
    And, how many years did you take to get a job?
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    I think even an AK-47 is overreaching at this point, mate. 
    Your main concern this early should be to learn how to recognize and make different shapes, how subdivision works and modern textures are made. As you go along you'll learn the tools and tricks needed to advance. This takes a lot of effort and time, so I'd suggest you start with something that has as few parts as possible. A cutting board -> kitchen knife ->  wooden chair -> complete lightbulb -> a pistol -> etc. Start simple and step up from there. Model things that push your boundaries each time, and post WIPs on these forums so you can get valuable feedback. There's some great artists here who are eager to help.
    I've already seen you be open to criticizm and welcoming it which is very good. That's one less thing you have to learn.
    There are lots of tutorials on youtube that you can follow and learn from, and google is your friend. There's some awesome PBR theory and breakdown articles within reach if you care to look. 

As for the specific process, it differs from artist to artist, and what kind of asset it is.
    For my weapons I do this:
    -RESEARCH! Get as many reference images I can get my dirty little hands on. 
    -PLANNING! Block out the shapes so I'm sure of every little bit I want to model is properly positioned and proportional.
    -Make lowpoly, unoptimized.
    -Duplicate lowpoly and rename it highpoly. Add supporting geometry so highpoly will subdivide nicely. Model in details I want.
    -Optimize lowpoly, unwrap it.
    -Bake normals and other maps from highpoly to lowpoly.
    -Make textures.
    -Make LODs, bake textures from lowpoly onto LODs.

When I started out I was modeling and texturing probably 3-4 hours a day. Some people git gud really fast so they might get a job quickly, but  maintaining a portfolio that shows off your skills can be essential to this, and that takes some time to develop.
    I found a well paying job in the oiling industry, so modeling is just a hobby for me unless someone throws a high-paying job at me or tries to buy one of my models :)
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I am starting as well learning by myself. Pluralsight is a great site with 30$ per month that teaches you all you need to know. The cost is minimal compared to what you learn

If you want to focus on characters you have to know about anatomy, muscles and proportions of the human body, then learn techniques about sculpting wrinkles and cloth folding, then learn about retopology and important loops to be animation friendly. I would first focus on just trying to make something beautiful to look at and not feel odd, and not worry about polygon count. When your quality is good, then start working on subdivision modeling and trying to achieve good quality wwith low poly count. Always do your best on proportions because mow with VR everything comes down to that.
  • MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    Thanez said:
    As a former professor, I actually think weapons are a really great place to start with for noobs. Rifles, especially, are as close to a '2d' object as one can get, while still modeling a relatively complicated subject.

@alex_kim: I have some tutorial videos that go over modeling a weapon in Maya, I used them to teach my classes, you may find them helpful. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpe94wsBklJITg7qbZkcv7BHX_bZcdxjq
  • alex_kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ said:
    Thanez said:
    As a former professor, I actually think weapons are a really great place to start with for noobs. Rifles, especially, are as close to a '2d' object as one can get, while still modeling a relatively complicated subject.

@alex_kim: I have some tutorial videos that go over modeling a weapon in Maya, I used them to teach my classes, you may find them helpful. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpe94wsBklJITg7qbZkcv7BHX_bZcdxjq

Thanks! I really appreciate it!