Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gundam: Heavy Arms

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ragnar_Danneskjöld polycounter lvl 6
Been working on this for the past few months.

Replies

• jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    Nice detailing on the Heavy Arms Gundam.  There are a few critiques: I think that while you have the general proportions correct, the shape of some of the armor coverings is too rigid and the edges too hard.  Maybe this is the material you rendered out with, but if you look below at the model kit reference, you'll notice that the armor pieces have some subtle curvature and aren't as blocky as one might consider.  Also, you may want to take a second look at the head to make sure the proportions are right.  Gundam heads can be a little tricky since there are lots of hidden curves that aren't always picked up in blueprints or line drawings.  When in doubt, always refer to the model kit for verification of shape.

With that out of the way, it is a good model and you should be proud to have gotten it to this level.  I remember trying to model the Strike and Freedom Gundams back in the day and I think the closest I ever got was the upper torso for Freedom.

• Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Nice model and presentation. Everything is very symmetrical. On top of that, there's many elements that are over-kitbashed. These two factors gives the character a very same-y look. Even if it means moving away from the reference a bit, it's worth fixing this problem.

suggestions: Break up the kitbashing by making an alternate version of some of the heavily used pieces (esp rocket bay doors), then strategically switch those out around the model to break things up. Leave a few empty spots on the pods for fired rockets. Add a muzzle device to two of the heavy chainguns or something else to add variation to these huge shapes.