Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First model without tutorial ! Need help!

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Lilium triangle
Hey guys!
I'm not new to 3Dmodelling, but I am to 3DSMax and UVMap, and normal and bumb map... I have a background in architecture, so I'm basically struggling to re-learn everything that I know and it's frustrating, but I still like it a lot. I have made this simple can, which is my first model without any tutorial I've made.  And the first one to actually have a texture that needed the UV Editor. 
Any tips or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated !

Direct noob question that google coudn't easily help me with : How do you guys export your maps ? I've done a screenshot because I coudn't figure out how to do like a pro would do.

Final render :

Pre-photoshop :

I don't know how to export normal map/texture map.. how do you guys do?

Edge :

Also, since I've done a can and it's still pretty basic, what kind of object should I do next, that would be slightly harder to do than a can ?
Thanks a lot!

Replies

• YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    I find it hard to figure out what you are really asking if you ask so many questions in one topic.

Direct noob question that google coudn't easily help me with : How do you guys export your maps ? I've done a screenshot because I coudn't figure out how to do like a pro would do. 
    The first part "how do you export maps?" would be easily answered. When exporting a .FBX file for instance there is an option called 'Embed Media' that you can check. When checked it will add the textures used to the export.

However, the second part "I've done a screenshot" makes me think you are actually talking about rendering. Now there is an easy answer which is press "F9" which renders the camera. Let me know whether that is in fact what you are looking for so I can assist you further since you're most likely ending up with an ugly render.

With respect to normal mapping. There is a huge amount of knowledge in the Polycount Wiki. I suggest you take a look there before asking here. http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking
    I must add though since you are really new to this software that I feel it is best that you first master modeling and texturing before moving on to baking. If you do not know the basics of modeling and texturing then you will have a hard time learning normal mapping.
  • Lilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    It's true that I'm being overwhelmed right now by everything that I know that I don't know yet (does that makes sense?). But it feels like I'm supposed to know more than what I actually do, because of the 5 years I did in Rhino/Sketchup, but it's so different at the same time and so frustrating, which is why I want to do more.

My mistake, I wasn't talking about normal map, I used a simple bumb map.
    I was talking about texture map in fact (which is probably why google didn't help me there) 
    But now I know that it's tools > render uv's ! So yeah, something new learned!

And thanks for the wiki link! I'll look into it!
    And I'll also take your tip of concentrating on modeling and texturing, I'll do the 3Daily challenge, so that will help me a lot!
    Thanks again :D

• YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    That first part I can totally relate to. I actually had that with normal map baking since I knew a lot about normals and normal maps before starting. However I found it incredibly hard to get a "perfect bake". You will most likely have that too as has every 3D artist on this forum. Luckily the path to mastery has been more or less been turned into a highway so there are guides on the web that can help you.

The main one from this forum can be found here:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/146667/a-practical-guide-on-normal-mapping-for-games/p1
    There is a word file attached in which most info is explained.

Ps: Good job on the 3Daily Challenge! You'll learn a lot!
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Lilium, 

I think for your first model without any tutorials is not too shabby! And I think you're on the right track with doing a small prop instead of creating a huge environment.    But, I definitely agree with YannickStoot if you focus down on just modeling and texturing at first everything else will come together.  

I will say something that might help you out when you get into more modeling is clean UVs.  Just because when you start to get to texture baking, having overlapping UVs like you've got might cause some issues.  If you're modeling and unwrapping in Max definitely check out the seam and unfold tools.  

I'll have to check out your 3Daily thread!  Looking forward to seeing what you bust out!  And if you have any questions feel free to DM me!  :smiley:
  • Lilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilium triangle
    Thanks a lot for the support and the help everyone ! Now I understand a bit more how 3ds max works! 
    I need practice of course, I agree with all of you and that's what I'll do ! :) 

Please do keep checking and commenting my progress, it'll help me a lot!