Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] CYBORG SAVIOR - A Shooter Game Art Showcase in 90 days - WIP

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
j_swan polycounter lvl 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jygEC-Nxpvk

Hello fellow poly pushers.
A little background on me: I'm a 29 year old artist most recently working in the film industry doing paint work on 2D and stereo 3D films for about 7 years.
My passion was always in game art and design, I was making full games in Game Maker 15 years ago. However when I graduated in 07 I was lost about how to work in games and I was desperate to start paying off my student loans and living expenses, so I took jobs in web, motion graphics, and then film. I never gave up my dream, because I was still doing art in bursts and keeping up with the indie game scene. However I never put it all together and followed through to feel confident to really push for it. One reason was that I never really enjoyed modelling other people's concepts, so I wanted to improve my concept drawing skills first. I took classes at Gnomon in 2012 for Sculpting and Drawing to improve some of those skills. I also took sculpting with Simon Lee, that was one of my favorite classes ever.

Recently I decided to quit my job and give it a true, serious push. After several years of working in film, and making pretty decent money, my heart kept pushing me to do what I truly believe in and it's got to the point where I will do (almost) anything to achieve my dream of making games as a living.

I decided a solid way to demonstrate my skills is to put together a COMPLETE package of game assets and make a fully functioning game prototype showcasing my concepting/modelling/texturing/rigging/level design skills all in one package that I can have a blast creating.

This thread will contain as much content as I can take the time to show, from concept, early sculpt, timelapses, game design, etc. I'm also posting on a tumblr: https://jswanpolygon.tumblr.com/

I technically started on July 1st with the concept designs.

Follow me on my new chapter of mastering game art until I finally achieve my dreams.

You will see my name in the future.

Replies

• j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6

Character lineup sheet.

Illustration is not my strong suit but it's something I'm always looking to improve. 
    Since I'm the only artist, I don't need to fully flesh out the concept since I can do a lot of the designing in Zbrush.
    However I like to try to sketch out as much as I possible can to give myself a good starting point.

I'll probably update this concept sheet later but you can see my starting point.
  • j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    After about 1.5 weeks of work on this first creature, I've got all the modelling and retopology donezo. I wasted a lot of time trying to retopologize the little babies as one geo, before deciding I should just separate them and duplicate them in-game. I thought I would be saving polygons by merging them, but realistically I wasn't saving anything at all since I can duplicate them in the game engine without too much of a cost. It also allows me to use them individually as objects that run away when you kill the beast.

I've started the rough draft of the texturing and I'll have to back in and work on it later. For now I want to return to the main character concept and get his block in started ASAP.

• j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    I've started the (very) Rough Block-in of the hero character. This is about 6-7 hours of work over the past 2 days. I'm going to completely redo all the mechanical parts but I'm using this as muh guide for proportion and silhouette purposes. Going through the Valley of the Suck right now, but confident it will turn out how I want in the next week or two. Getting the hero done is probably 25% of the overall work for the game, which I'm going to extend to september and use up 90 days instead of just 60 - as I'm taking time to watch a bunch of tutorials recently.

• j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    Decided to take what I have and do a real quick game test. So I ZRemeshed, did a UV Master, and a quick bake in Substance Painter to get the asset up in Unity.
    Here's some scenes, the game will have 2 camera options that can be toggled between. An over-the-shoulder 3rd person shooter view, and more of a sidescrolling view. THe movement will be the same but will map differently to the controller when you change views.

• j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    Working on some light and color art direction for the game.
    For fun I'll start getting a character controller in there too and test the camera and how I want the player to move.

• j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6LwebvcIRY&feature=youtu.be

Quick prototype getting some of the very EARLY character and camera stuff in place.
    Very rough but helps to keep the project in perspective and keeps me hyped to keep going.
    At this point I'll turn my attention back to the main character and start really getting deep and detailed with him.
  • j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dof1mb7GfiM&feature=youtu.be

Another update to the prototype to cap off the night. Implemented a smooth camera switching mechanic and some simplistic lasers to see how it looks in perspective. TONS more work left but feeling good about the progress. I won't be making the gameplay very complicated, as I'm focusing on the art assets mostly, and there is quite a bit left to add.

• j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6

Still going through the rough concept phase with this guy, trying out different shapes.
    I'm starting to feel good about the legs, but the torso and arm still have a ways to go. Can't wait to finalize the design so I can do the modelling and get him textured.

• j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    Small update on some things. Testing out a re-topologized version of the model before I go and finalize the details in Zbrush. Obviously the main hero character is the centerpiece of this project so I'm really putting a lot of effort to make sure I don't settle for a bad design. Once the hero is finalized the rest of the assets will be a breeze in terms of complexity and speed to make them. I'm really looking forward to animating him and the creatures as well, to breathe some life in the scene. After finalizing the hero, I'll go back to the creature and finalize the texture, then it will be a matter of fully rigging and animating them. Once the basic functions of the game are done, I'll start grinding out the environments and all the props and effects to go with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jygEC-Nxpvk
  • j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6

Well, I'm starting to get close to finishing the designing and re-designing parts of the hero’s hard surfaces. I have *mostly* locked in the design in a low-poly form, but the arm is still bugging me a bit, so I’ll be reworking those forms a bit.

It will also be key to finish the weapon as the hand is pointless without it. The hand has a locking mechanism that plugs into the gun, as opposed to flanges that grip a handle.

But really its just the forearm that’s bugging me...I think I’ll completely redo that shape with a more conventional mechanical limb. The segment on the back of the calves also looks off, so I’ll be adjusting that diamond extrusion. I’ll be relieved to lock down those elements because it means I can finally dig in and put the polish on the details and also fix up the organic anatomy and be on my way to a finished piece. I want to get my details in there!

• j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    Some updates. Reworking the mechanical arm, and started applying detail to the legs. Reworking the human arm as well to get the anatomy better.

• j_swan
  • j_swan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ORWo_hi-4&feature=youtu.be

Been a couple weeks since the last update, I completely redid the legs and arms, and built a base mesh for the cross Jetpack.
    I still want to redo the torso piece but otherwise I'm pretty set on the mechanical stuff for now. I have to just accept it and focus on getting a finished piece done so I can move onto the other parts of the game.