Home Career & Education

My career as a 3D artist finally begins!!!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
I'm really excited. To give some quick background, I started uni at 17 studying civil engineer - hated it and dropped out after 2 years. Got kicked out of the house and roamed aimlessly for a while. Did a 4 year design degree and got a job in visualisation.

Before this job I had never used vray and was pretty bad at 3DSMAX (still am). However in this small industry I've been able to create "industry leading" renders.

Throughout uni I used my crappy laptop that could barely support 5k polys on a 15 inch 1920x1080 the pain! photoshop and 3DSMAX open at the same time? impossible.

Well I'm sitting here with my $3000 computer, wacom tablet, dual 27" monitor with money I earned through rendering, it feels amazing. I have my leget copies of 3DSMAX, Vray, and substance ready to go. Where to begin!

As much as I love modelling for games I believe I have a better chance in architectural visualisation. My first goal is to build a portfolio that establishes my value as a designer and a visualisation artist. My first challenge to myself (after several hours of udemy tutorials) is to create some high quality foliage that is native to my country - and impossible to find on the web. Then I would like to model my apartment as a portfolio piece. 

Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated, or if anyone has advice for organising myself better it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Sounds like a plan goodluck with it all and CGArchitect.com, is another resource with a ton of relevant content as well.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Make food for your team.  Their hearts can be in their stomachs.
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Have you got any of your work online, would like to see what "Industry leading" renders are like. 
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 said:
    Have you got any of your work online, would like to see what "Industry leading" renders are like. 
    It's hilarious because they're actually really bad! I can't show any online for confidentiality reasons however they look similar to this: 

Related image

I work as a playground designer. Before I started the renders looked more like this:

Image result for playground render

They where literally just taking a screenshot of the 3dsmax viewport.

Ultimately I would like my renders to get to this level:

Image result for playground render
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, Looks like the bottom image is using a lot of photo merging, especially the people. It would be impossible to get a render looking this good with out photographic assets as well. 
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 said:
    Thanks for the reply, Looks like the bottom image is using a lot of photo merging, especially the people. It would be impossible to get a render looking this good with out photographic assets as well. 
    I know it looks that way but the people are actually are 3D Models sold by axyz-design. They're 3D scanned and they look amazing, I will be purchasing some hopefully in the next few weeks. Otherwise the things I notice are great variation in the flora and the scene is just well composited. Much larger resolution as well.
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O yeah if you look closely you can see they have reused some of them. Wow they are quite costly. 
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 said:
    O yeah if you look closely you can see they have reused some of them. Wow they are quite costly. 
    They are, lucky for me I have a really cool boss who is happy to drop $500-$600 on assets.