Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted Creature

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
chemotoledo sublime tool
Another character that I maide in my ''Free time''  :p   concept art, 3D sculpt (just to play and establish the proportions, not for baking maps) , low poly and the hand painted texture. I really enjoy developing this kind of characters and textures :blush:
I made this 3D sculpt in Zbrush just for establish the main shapes and proportions.

Try to get a nice silhouette in the low poly model.  Always fun, the UVs ^^ And the final hand painted texture. 

Replies

• chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    You can watch the model in real time at Sketchfab :smile:
    model
  • Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Really nice hand painted textures, especially those uv's!  :hushed:
    I'd love to see it animated, he must have a silly walk his small legs.

• chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Hey @Durkel Thank's man ^^ I'm really glad that you like it. About the UV's yea, I always find interesting to put all them in the best way posible to make use of the canvas. And yes, it would be great watch this creature animated, actually I have a friend that he riggs my characters (which in my opinion its a great rigger and animator) here you can watch one of my characters rigged and animated, so you can have an idea on how he can look ;) 

• Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Oeh, thats neat! The squash and stretch within the animation is outstanding.
    I'll send this to a friend of mine, I'm sure he will be as excited as I am. :)

Thanks for sharing @chemotoledo !

• chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Cool! I'm glad that you like it @Durkel :smiley: So now its time to start thinking on the next character ;) 
  • Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome work beautiful color pallets and attention to detail,  well done!
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Hi @Apocrs1980 I'm glad that you like it :smile: you know, just trying to make a good use of the color palette, hue shift and contrast between shadows and highlights, its not the best one, but little by little :blush: 
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    And some times I prefer to focus more on the overall illumination then the finest details XD

• Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome. The Sculpt, the modeling and the texture painting is really nicely done. Did you use Photoshop to paint the texture? or did you use something like 3DCoat to paint it? Really interested to know your workflow :). Great work!
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Hi @Glode Thanks! I'm really glad that you find it interesting :blush: And sure, I can let you know all about my workflow :) 

1 -Get a nice concept (which in this case I made it) with an interesting silhouette, proportions and color palette.

2 -Block out the overall shapes and a little bit of details on a 3D sculpt (in my workflow in ZBrush) this step should be in some way fast, not expend to much time.

3 -Base on this 3D sculpt I start to re-topology (I use Maya) the low poly (in-game) model with approved shapes and proportions.

4 -I optimize the low poly in areas were it doesn't need polygons, neither to form shape or areas of deformation, and always thinking in the silhouette.

5 -UV step, you know, trying to make in the best way all the UV island into rectangles to improve the uv space, with a good texel resolution so all the pieces has the same texture resolution and beware of the bleeding.And I use Maya for this.

6 - And now the fun part, hand paint texture, I use 3D coat between a little bit of Photoshop, all made by hand, no photos. I like to start putting the main color palette on each area of the surface thinking in color variations depending on the skin tones, lighting and shadows and HUE shift, this with an soften brush and then start polishing this render into more detailed and define one, ones its got right info I can start thinking in the details, like scratches and artifacts on the surfaces, of course I help this entire process with different layers blending type like: Multiply, Overlay or color dodge, depending on what I need to achieve. 

And then export that texture from 3D Coat which I like it because its fill the space between each uv island to prevent any bleeding (in the pas time I make this on photoshop with some actions) but now 3D Coat helps me on that :wink: 

So this is like my main workflow, so I hope that it can be useful for you, anyways, if you have any specific question don't hesitate to ask me :)

Cheers buddy!
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    That's great! thanks for taking the time to reply and breaking it down for me :).
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    No problem @Glode :wink: I'm glad to help you on someway.

Cheers,
  • Ozz14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozz14 polycounter lvl 4
    This is such a solid character, from topology to final execution it all comes together great. The hand painted textures are perfect. If you don't mind me asking, aprox how long did this take to make? My workflow has been similar to yours and I'm just starting to texture a character and it's been nearly two months. This is great inspiration.
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Hi @Ozz14

Thank's man :blush: I'm glad that you like it.

About your question on how much is it take me to do all of this, I made this character in my free time, but I can tell you that it can be around 2-3 weeks from 7-8 hours per day. But I know that at the begging maybe it could take longer, specially on people like me that I came more from a background of a 3D artist, not too much as a texture or concept artist, because this kind of texture require to have great skills in texture - painting. But ones you evolve this skills you do it in a way less time and with better quality. So that's why I do and I think its what the industry need, to make this kind of characters and texture in around 2 weeks. 

And the main part of this is that I really enjoy making this kind of models and textures, cause it really demand to be a good artist :)

Hope I can help you, and don't hesitate to ask any other question, I'll be glad to help you.

Cheers,
  • Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    I'm always curious of people's optimizing preferences,  are you doing this by hand in zbrush or in Maya?
    I'm a 3dMax user myself, I normally retopo in zbrush,  but am considering bringing my low poly into 3dMax to further optimize the mesh.
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Hi again @Apocrs1980

For a well and more complex retopo, I do it on Maya with quad draw, which I'm so comfortable with it, and when its like a simple object I do some times in Zbrush, just when its a simple objects. Another tool (which is a plug-in) I use Diamant Tool for Maya, which is sooo!! useful for me to model, tweak and optimize models.

• chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    This is the really rough sketch of this character XD I don't hesitate to my self cause I had the main idea on my head :P