Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Hello Everyone! First Post in need of feedback and advice! Thanks in advance

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Jmcmil20 triangle
I've had a rocky road the last few years dealing with life but I'm finally having the ability to put forth the effort to get better so I would love the help you guys could give me. This is the link to the animation....I know there are some penetration issues to be addressed but any feedback is welcome so long as I can correct upon it..so thanks in advance! I can't wait to get to you guys here!

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/164898#202458

Replies

• LloydHallam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LloydHallam polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not really sure what the context of the scene is here. It looks like he's just finished a drawing he's quite proud of, and is then attacked and grabbed by said drawing?

When his expression changes from one of pride to confusion, it feels like there's a lot of unnecessary head movement, he also ends up leaning back in his chair even more, which makes him look more relaxed, despite his facial expression. I'd say keep this movement simpler with some squash and stretch on his expressions, followed a more a more frantic and paniced attempt to press Ctrl+Z (Which is what I assume he's doing at frame 239)

Finally when the hand comes out of the computer screen, our main character seems more inconvenienced and annoyed rather than scared and confused, which is what I would be if my drawing came to life and tried to attack me! When the fight starts, it needs to look like more of a struggle, rather than trying to swat away a pesky fly or something.

The animation itself is looking good so far, the acting just needs to be clearer and more consistent. 
  • Jmcmil20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jmcmil20 triangle
    Hey! Thanks so much for your feedback! I was playing on the idea of a drawing coming to life and coming after him.  If you were doing the shot, do you think there is any way I could make it clearer in the story what was going on? I'll admit I worried that may be a problem hehe...Now I'm wondering if I should just redo the last section. I wanted a comedic struggle ...I will do my best to figure it out...thanks again for your awesome feedback! Oh and Nice to meet you :smile:
  • LloydHallam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LloydHallam polycounter lvl 8
    I think having a quick cut just after frame 79 showing his completed drawing of a demonic hand would really help sell the idea. Then cut back to frame 80 and continue from there.

When his expression shifts, have his screen glow, maybe add some lightning effects to the outside of his monitor to show something not quite right happening. It's all staging, it's important to get your staging right if the idea you're going for isn't immediately apparent, we need to be able to piece everything together and come to a concrete conclusion. 

If you want a more comedic struggle, really exaggerate that last fight, have his limbs flail about and stretch all cartoon-like, make him jump out of his chair a little at the start, all that good stuff. Keep his expression scared, but make it kind of silly as well, maybe have a part where the characters tug against one another aggressively before the main character gets knocked out with the slap.

It's honestly just the little things, your idea and execution are great, it's just lost in translation a little. Pay attention to the notes being left on your sync sketch as well. Good luck! 
  • Jmcmil20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jmcmil20 triangle
    those are such awesome ideas....see this is why I love critiques lol.  Thanks again for all your help, I don't know about today with the explosions and all but I'm going to try to get on those notes as soon as possible!  

oh Happy Fourth by the way!
  • Jmcmil20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jmcmil20 triangle
    New update. I made a few changes and i swear it got longer.  Anyways, I would love some feedback from you guys to help me get this shot to something special.  Thanks again for any and all of the help guys and gals.

oh almost forgot the link:
    https://syncsketch.com/sketch/166026#204388
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work man! And that is some serious changes there. being willing to make drastic changes in response to critique is a sign of a great artist. Its good to see you not too set in your ways, or discouraged by having to make changes. That is a hard skilks to teach someone. Something im working on myself!

Better animation overall. A lot smoother. Better reactions imo.

I think some things to work on could be:
    - he has a very intense reaction to his good drawing. When i do something i particularly enjoy, i may just find myself smiling and relaxing at it, but not necessarily having his reaction. The character seems to really throw himself back with pride, which seemed like too big of a reaction to me. Maybe just simplify it and look at what you do when you complete a work. Probably something more subtle.
    - His frightened reaction to the hand is much better! Loved the update. But it seems very drawn out. He kinda freaks out once, calms himself, and then really freaks and faints. I presume the second freak out was possibly for comedic effect, but it seemed odd. 
    check out this video of a compilation of fainting scenes i found on youtube and make notes as to what they are doing. (https://youtu.be/Nv1Epa9YmxE)
    - what i observed was that they seem to be kinda confused and still right before fainting. Your character seems to do the opposite by flailing right before fainting. (Exaggerated doesnt always make it comedic. Good acting is not overdoing it.)
    - take a look at 0:40 in the video where thr girl faints after the woman says "you look like you've seen a ghost". I think this applies very well to you. This girl is initially very startled,(just like your character), and then is "calm" for a second, then faints.

Remember that references are your friends!
  • Jmcmil20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jmcmil20 triangle
    Man, where to begin! Well, first off, thanks so much for your awesome feedback!   I feel a tad chipper today lol.  I feel like I can't be too afraid to blast away some or all of what I have even if that means days of work if that means the work will be better for it ya know?   Part of why I love animation and art, in general, is that we can never really know enough..no one has all the answers or has learned everything there is to know about it so you are always learning and improving which just sounds awesome to me.  Sure getting a job will pay off my bills but my ultimate goal is that learning experience every day ya know?  

I'll get to addressing that stuff today. I think maybe I can tone down the breathing maybe? the idea was that he is backed into the corner and can do nothing but face it, fearfully, but the hand ultimately slaps him and knocks him out.    Alas, it's not reading now lol.    

I will hold on to that reference though. Believe it or not, I have a hard drive that is specifically for inspiration and reference so I shall place that with the rest hehe.  Thanks again for all your help!
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea if you are nit making this animation for a project or job per se, always good to move on to new projects. I have been told that volume is greater than perfection in art. Meaning you learn a lot more by doing more works, than spending forever and ever perfecting tiny details.
  • Jmcmil20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jmcmil20 triangle
    yeah, so sorry for the late reply in all of this.  Life has been difficult at times, not to mention this computer has been wonky lately but I think I've got it straightened out and was able to put in some more work on this shot...there are a few others one I work on too so I don't get burned out but it's still for a list that I'm working through so it's not really anything major usually...little tests really.   but yeah this is yet more progress on it and thanks again for all of your feedback and help.it means a ton!

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/168441#208080

there is still much to do in terms of polish but I think this is the idea I'm going with and if it's terrible I may just move on like you said, but man was it fun though still.  There is a lot of things I need to cleanup like penetrations and such but I'll get around to it when I'm feeling better. 
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude you have made a ton of  improvements since the first animation. well done. much better fainting set up there with him trying to fight back and then just immediatly getting knocked out by the hand. i liked that a lot better, only thing that seemed off to me was the guy's fighting pose. i think his right hand was too low, and that typically people bring their hands up to their face when holding up their fists to fight (if that is indeed what he was doing) like this:

• Jmcmil20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jmcmil20 triangle
    Sooooo I'm taking a break from this one for alittle bit and then coming back to correct some things I noticed but this is where it is right now :) suggestions are still welcome as always.....I must get stronger....better..faster.....sorry couldn't help it. anyyway

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/226551940" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">Monster</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/jyremem">Jyreme Mcmillon</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  • RKirtlink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RKirtlink polycounter lvl 7
    Getting better and better with each update, nice job!
  • Jmcmil20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jmcmil20 triangle
    Thanks so much! The best part is I'm learning a lot and embracing my mistakes for once.....that to me is my biggest achievement lately which may not be much to anyone else but to me, it's great lol.