Home Technical Talk

Wacom alternatives.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
Hello, I've been looking into upgrading my wacom bamboo after several years working with it (Yeah, i know, about time right) into a tablet with a display such as a Cintiq hd or something similar.
Thing is, as we probably all are painfully aware of, these things are steep as hell so I've been looking into the alternative brands to see if I can get something that works as well for me at a lower price. So what I'm asking here is really if someone has first or second hand experience with these brands and if they have some things that I should look out for or if there are any particular recommendations you'd have for me, to me it looks like some of these reviews quite well but I'm always weary how trustworthy professional reviewers and sites are these days. I'm Left handed so if there is some information related to that i should thing about that'd be appreciated as well.

On a somewhat related note, how did you find the transition from basic tablet to screen tablet? 

Cheers!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I've worked with an offbrand Cintiq.  Monoprice display tablet

It was useable, but it lacked the precision and no nonsense usability of a regular Cintiq.

If it's a price issue, there's always buying a used one.  Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

My cintiq I use at work is a cosmetically damaged one, but it functionally works like it's supposed to.  $1000 all in all.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Even an old generation used Cintiq usually costs 2 to 3 times as much as a new offbrand tablet. On many occasions I've found a new Ugee 2150 selling for around $450.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've worked with an offbrand Cintiq.  Monoprice display tablet

It was useable, but it lacked the precision and no nonsense usability of a regular Cintiq.

If it's a price issue, there's always buying a used one.  Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

My cintiq I use at work is a cosmetically damaged one, but it functionally works like it's supposed to.  $1000 all in all.
    Interesting, about how long ago was this? Could you please elaborate on the nonsense you don't have to deal with anymore? 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This was a couple months ago.  Our art director at InXile bought it as a Cintiq alt, but even he stored it away.

There was this electronic hum that was perceptible even to my ears (and I've been playing drums and bagpipes for several years) when the pen would be in a certain quadrant of the screen.

1/2 of the side buttons were not customizable.

Side buttons would act weird in 3Dcoat.  Like I had to click and pull away to add a polygon between 4 painted points in retopo.

Driver software install was not clean.  I had to install an older version to open some features up.

The sum of these issues were not insurmountable, but it was enough for me to just continue using my Intuos4 Pro at home.

Its usability overall was not as smooth as my Cintiq 24HD
  • MitchNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MitchNew vertex
    I've been doing some research into it myself and I've found that a lot of people seem to like Monoprice, thinking about buying myself one and Monoprice is selling theirs for $380 atm, the specs are pretty similar to the Cintiq as well. $380 is pretty much a steal for a tablet compared to what I got now (intuos 5) which was $200 and has no screen.

I've personally tried looking for Cintiq's on Craigslist and I couldn't find anything within miles.... and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio >_>....a

Only potential issue is if you're looking for a tablet that has buttons, not sure if the Monoprice has any, but I mostly just use my keyboard, I find it more comfortable and flexible.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101&p_id=14481&seq=1&format=2

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    MitchNew said:
    I've been doing some research into it myself and I've found that a lot of people seem to like Monoprice, thinking about buying myself one and Monoprice is selling theirs for $380 atm, the specs are pretty similar to the Cintiq as well. $380 is pretty much a steal for a tablet compared to what I got now (intuos 5) which was $200 and has no screen.

I've personally tried looking for Cintiq's on Craigslist and I couldn't find anything within miles.... and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio >_>....

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101&p_id=14481&seq=1&format=2

did you use it tho? every replacement i tested is now collecting dust. Say what you want about the Wacom Drivers. They are better than the competition ones :x 

most worked in photoshop, some didnt in zbrush or other apps like substance painter. So I gave up and just buy the Wacoms when they are on sale.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've got a monoprice 22 at home,  it's decent enough, there's less parallax than the old 21" cintiq and you can fit most wacom nibs in - it's also not a bad monitor.   There can be a bit of faff associated with drivers/multiple monitors, it's only got one pen button, tilt doesn't seem to work and the supplied USB cable is shite but once you get the hang of setting it up you're fine. 

Is it as good as a 22" cintiq? No
    Is a 22" cintiq £1000 better? No
    Would I buy a 13" cintiq instead?  Not a chance in hell

I've had mine running successfully on Win7 with 2 screens and win10 with 3, It's mounted on an arm and hasnt blown up (8months)

Zbrush, photoshop, sculptris, manga studio and sketchbook pro all work with it on current drivers.. 
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    I've got a monoprice 22 at home,  it's decent enough, there's less parallax than the old 21" cintiq and you can fit most wacom nibs in - it's also not a bad monitor.   There can be a bit of faff associated with drivers/multiple monitors, it's only got one pen button, tilt doesn't seem to work and the supplied USB cable is shite but once you get the hang of setting it up you're fine. 

Is it as good as a 22" cintiq? No
    Is a 22" cintiq £1000 better? No
    Would I buy a 13" cintiq instead?  Not a chance in hell

I've had mine running successfully on Win7 with 2 screens and win10 with 3, It's mounted on an arm and hasnt blown up (8months)

Zbrush, photoshop, sculptris, manga studio and sketchbook pro all work with it on current drivers.. 
    Good to hear, what do you mean with wacom nibs?

Edit: This is sort of where I'm at atm, I realize i will be getting an inferior product but the amount of money I'm saving makes the negative aspects acceptable, either i'll get a used wacom or some cheaper brand.