Home Adobe Substance

(Solved) Substance PBR export appears more glossy in Maya

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
(This is probably not a Substance issue, but a Maya issue, so I posting them here.)

Here I have a simple material in Substance Painter, it looks like this:

I export textures using following settings:

Now I am back to Maya, I have the same mesh with a Stingray PBS (Physically Based Shader) material, which appear to be the default way Maya handle PBR textures. I setup the material as such:

The problem, as you may see, is the material appears too glossy (reflecting the skybox):

While the same material export to Unity Standard shader (PBR / Metallic), looks fine:

So my problem:

- I probably need to export texture specifically for Maya PBR material, but I don't what am I missing using default PBR export profile (I tried to setup a Stingray PBS export profile through trial-and-error, with no success).

- I mainly use Unity game engine, not Autodesk's Stingray. Is there a plugin or shader setting for Maya LT 2017 (on macOS) where I can emulate Unity standard shader?

Replies

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    PS: I have also read and tried this doc from Allegorithmic, but the settings don't appear to fix my specific issue.
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    I am sorry to bump this thread, but I am basically see a situation where Maya decides it doesn't want to apply the roughness map I give her.

ShaderFX nodes, Material graph, and Material settings looks right to me. But roughness just isn't applied, Maya renders my texture with a glossy map (which appears to be a flat 0 roughness)

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    After some exchange with Autodesk team (with helps from Paul Kind) I can confirm Maya 2017 doesn't support grayscale roughness map, it needs a RGB map. Kinda weird as it works fine with a grayscale metallic map.

Anyway, it's actually a bit easier to work in the RMA workflow (where you bake Roughness, Metallic and AO into one RGB map). For that to work, Paul Kind provided a sample ShaderFX graph. (I didn't realise it was that easy once you throw away those value sliders):

By using this Substance Painter export config:

You get the correct result:

Now that I know the basis of ShaderFX, I can get it to work like a Unity Standard shader (sharing textures instead of exporting 2 different batch):

You can see the result (RMA texture on the left, Unity texture on the right):

• DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good matey, have you shared the ShaderFX file anywhere? I tried to recreate your graph from the picture but none of the available nodes in ShaderFX give me the texcoord with the RG outputs you have on the left?
    Ta!
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    DMacDraws said:
    Looks good matey, have you shared the ShaderFX file anywhere? I tried to recreate your graph from the picture but none of the available nodes in ShaderFX give me the texcoord with the RG outputs you have on the left?
    Ta!

I am using Maya LT 2017, and you should start with a Stingray PBS material. Delete nodes, leaving your "Standard Base" and start from there.
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eCstatic polycounter lvl 14
    I tried to recreate your shader in Max but I'm not able to load my maps because the Path button is greyed out for some reason.

Any tips on how to solve this? Also how did you select which color channel to plug in?

Edit: I figured out how to use the swizzle and how to pay attention to the material loadout more :)
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eCstatic polycounter lvl 14
    @bitinn Im having problems recreating your PBR shader. The roughness map always renders blocky and has gernerally weird behavior.

This happens with and without packed maps, all my maps are set to linear. I have no idea whats causing this issue.

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    @eCstatic

Best to open a separate thread in tech talk with your shaderfx graph and most importantly open the property panel showing settings for your BaseColor/Normal/RMA texture node. If the textures are ok (and if you haven't checked, you should), then you likely messed up a setting.