Home Technical Talk

Steganography for better channel packing?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

I'm not sure if someone ever hear about Steganography. Basically this is technique how to encrypt secret messages to a image and later decrypt by master key. Why this? I got an idea that could be interesting way how to pack another textures to the RGB channels (albedo) instead of using alpha or another extra channels because you can extract them later in game engine or deeply in GPU by master key. The extracted texture quality will be less then regular channel packing but it could be enought for metal or alpha 1. Pixels in albedo are offseted in one or a few values by merging image but for human eyes you can't see differences.

This is just an idea. Probably it wouldn't never works or it doesn't have any improvements to the render pipeline at all. :smiley:

Thank you for any suggestion.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it *is* an idea. :)

To use a texture with the extra data, the engine would need to have the file spec and code to do so, and be efficient at it. Common steganography methods exploit certain aspects of the target file format, which would need to be hacked in some way to be used on common game image formats. Any encryption would be undesirable and unnecessary.  At this point, you're basically writing a new file spec based on an old one, like dds+1 or something.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some compression formats encode in blocks, like DXT / BC is in 4x4 blocks.

So you could theoretically encode different data in neighboring blocks, without causing extra data loss.

• Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for your suggestions. :smile:  As you said it's not that simple as I expected. I was just curious.