Home Technical Talk

[MAYA] Advice for animating unfinished humans in Maya?

Turbopasta
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
I want to start animating a bipedal human, but the character design is still a work in progress. I have general experience in animating so it's not like I need to learn everything, but I'm wondering if anyone here could give me some workflow tips or advice on what the cleanest way to go about doing something like this would be.

Like, I want to make the character in Zbrush, but I'm not super good with sculpting yet so my model is inevitably going to have some flaws once I settle on something. I currently don't even know anything about the process of importing Zbrush models to a lower tessellation for use in programs like Maya. Do I absolutely need to make sure it's perfect before I start animating with it, or is there an easy way that I would be able to sculpt a model, bring it over to Maya, assign weights, animate it, notice it doesn't look right, and then go back into Zbrush and change some features without just having to redo everything every single time? Or do I have to completely nail the look of it on the first try? What about dynamic properties like hair and cloth? 

I hope this question makes sense, basically I just want to know some good non-destructive methods for animating unfinished models in Maya. Thanks. 

Replies