Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low poly base character

null
Hello, everyone!
This is a base mesh I'm working on these days.

Made in Blender, rendered with Cycles.

What do you think? Is there something that needs to be improved?

*Probably someone will talk about the head topology... I searched a lot of different ways to model heads and I don't think my head topology is "wrong" or "Inapropiated". In the end, what matters is what it looks, right? Anyway, feel free to tell I'm wrong.*

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Can you do turnaround of the head wireframe?
  • NoisyChain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoisyChain null
    @Brian "Panda" Choi

Here.

I made it using a cube.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topology seems fine.
  • NoisyChain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoisyChain null
    Thanks, I guess...
    I'm worried because a lot of heads out there uses this round, sexy topology in the top of the head.
    Like this:

I tried to adjust the topology to fit this style in my model, but it didn't work...
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What  do you mean by "round?"

If you mean the silhouette of your model, it could stand to be more precise to whatever reference you're using.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @NoisyChain

That topology in the pic you show here isn't round originally. That's just a subdivided mesh with the original cage topology shown on it. In fact that head is modeled with the old-fashioned box modeling techniques which isn't practical on organic models nowadays.

"In the end, what matters is what it looks, right?" No, especially with organic models the topology has to be PERFECT in order to deform correctly with animation. But I agree, your topology seems alright so far. But your anatomy isn't fine. You should get into sculpting and then retopo your sculpts with animation-friendly topo, after their anatomy is finished.
  • NoisyChain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoisyChain null
    When I said "round", I said the topology in the top of the head, not the subdivision (duh). Comparing to my model, I made the head with a box, so the topology in this area is more square-shaped in the corners. I said "Round" because it looks more "spherical".

I agree with @FourtyNights about the anatomy. It was WAY WORSE before! I tried to fix it, but I wasn't be able to fix 100% of it. I'm satisfied with the final result by now. I'm already thinking about making another, but not now.

BTW, do I realy need to sculpt a full character and model a low poly version of it? Don't get me wrong, I understand that this workflow is more accurate, but need to think a lot about the polycount I use to sculpt because of my computer. I created my own workflow because of this: I finish the low poly character >> I sculpt it to bake the normal maps. Is this wrong?  :( 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NoisyChain  You're gonna want to if you want a anatomically accurate base body model.
  • NoisyChain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoisyChain null
    OK, I understand it.

Thanks for the attention! I will use it in the future.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @NoisyChain

Oh my bad then, sorry. But your example was a bit misleading.

Anyway, the topology on top of the head is fine either way. Actually I use exactly the same topology as you used. It's not critial area for deformation. Both of these cases have straight edge loops on the forehead where wrinkles appear, and that's just a good thing. 5-edged and 3-edged poles are also very common, but placing them strategically on the right areas is the key for a good edge flow. Always try to avoid 6-edged "star" poles though. They are bad for both deformation and sculpting. But it seems like you have avoided them, so that's a good start.

What comes to sculpting is that, if your PC isn't strong enough to handle very high poly sculpts with high frequency detail, you can also sculpt your characters to a semi-high state your PC can handle, and add those smaller details in Substance Painter for example.
  • NoisyChain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoisyChain null
    I'm sorry for my misleading information, too... 
    As my target is animation freindly topology for games, the better is to make things as smooth as possible, So I will try every possibility.

About Substance Painter, I REALLY want it, but I'm out of money now... I will buy it(someday). Actually I will try the demo right now. Thanks.