Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overwatch Character (Fan Art)

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey guys, I thought I might post up some images of a character I've been working on. I would love some feedback and tips on how to improve this character.
Here's a link to my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kRJBy
If you want to see more concept art on him.
Thank you. :smiley:

Replies

• ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Just a few notes that have come up from a few people about the overall design of this;

The style you've done it in doesn't quite match overwatch, it's not exactly encroaching on any specific style at the moment, a lot of material and texture work needs to be put in, as well as trying to embellish certain features, nothing about his personality says firebug, he just looks like a mod with a flamethrower

Way too much smoke on that preview image, I wont even get into the how or why he's smoking through a gas mask, but artistic choice I guess.

And then there's this;

Why is he wearing a flammable outfit
    Why are the cannisters not balanced on his back
    Why is the hose so long it would hit the ground
    Why does the hose float
    Why does the fuel tank have a biohazard sign on it
    Why are the tanks covered in leather
    Why does he wear latex gloves but exposes everything else
    Why does he have a tank on the weapon if there's two on the back
    What is going on with his shoes? Is it a skinning issue or a stylistic choice?

There's no consistency across the board with this model, it's stylistically at odds with itself and raises too many questions, but doesn't answer any of them within itself. Your character needs some kind of personality, the Pyro from TF2 kind of got away with a lack of personality by making that his actual trait, this one doesn't particularly say anything.

Since you've gone with the british theme; you could try making him a Mod, really cashing in on that and making his personality based around that. Tracer, for example; is based around old ww2 fighter pilots with her bomber jacket and streamlined features to match her speed.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's intentionally harsh crit but I'm not meaning to sound angry :) Keep trying to improve. Maybe try something a bit more original next time too, Overwatch is a fun game, sure; but it's so incredibly overdone.

Or ignore this advice and make a Star Wars Overwatch crossover in the League of Legends universe and rake in a bazillion likes
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    As an addition to the top, with whatever you make, the idea is you bevel if you haave the chance, and right now, I'm not seeiing a lot of beveled edges on your design.