Home Career & Education

Working as a Visualisation Artist. How to progress?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
Got my first job out of uni (studied design) as a visualisation artist / 3D Designer.

I primarily use 3DSMAX, Vray and AutoCAD. I do exterior renders.

So far it's been really fun and Ive enjoyed making materials and models for the renders.

As good as the job is its high volume - low growth development. Would like to develop my career to become an art director / consultant direction.

Ive just purchased a computer and am learning substance designer + painter as well as UE4 VR. Hoping to do some freelance work to beef out my portfolio.

So my workflow is 3DSMAX for modelling. Substance Designer/Painter for materials and Vray / UE4 for visualisation.

I guess I'm looking for advice on how to focus more on design quality + service rather than just being a "CAD monkey".

How do you develop as a 3D artist to be more valuable than outsourcing to china?

My initial thoughts is with stronger theory education and better customer service (good communication, same language, reliable etc.)

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    One of the main things that will help you stand out with clients should be your quality of work.

Good communication, reliability, etc. are important too. But that isn't necessarily what attracts new clients to you, although that will certainly play a role in client referrals and connections. 

Outsourcing countries may offer to do the work cheaper, but you want to attract clients based on the quality of your work. That way you can get paid what you're worth and not have to sell yourself short just to have comparable prices with outsourcing countries.

Many clients aren't necessarily looking for the cheapest solution. They're looking for the one that can do the job the best and don't mind paying a little more for it.