Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] - World of Warcraft Loveletter

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JohnnyH interpolator
Hey everyone!

I began this project tonight and I thought for the first time I would start an actual thread and show what I'm doing throughout the process. 

For this project I'll be making a smallish diorama of Val'Sharah, a forested area in World of Warcraft Legion. My goals with the project are to try to emulate the blizzard art style but bring it into a next-gen paradigm, with full PBR, volumetric lighting, more poly's etc. I'm sure I will end up doing some sculpting, but I want to try to push SD5 to get the majority of my texturing done. 

To that end I've Identified what I want to keep and what I want to be modifying - I'm sure some of my own personal taste will leak into the final result regardless. 

Shape language - Blizzard's stuff is always very chunky with really strong silhouettes and big playful shapes. 
Level of Detail - The majority of the texture work uses high-frequency detail very sparingly. I'll be trying to maintain this while pushing some high-frequency detail into the tiling normal maps. 
Texturing - The textures in game tend to be very dark, some as low as 50-60 SRGB. I would expect that they aren't using anything close to a PBR workflow - and this works for their game. One of my challenges will be do bring the same style of textures fully into PBR, I'm most excited about this portion of the project! As I said, where blizzard texture artists make extensive use of baked sculpts I will be trying to emulate that sculpting in SD5 (something I have had some success with before)
Geometry - I will be throwing much more Geo at problems! I want a pretty high-fidelity look while still trying to maintain those really simple, strong silhouettes. I'll also be throwing much more at the vegetation geometry wise.
Shader Complexity - I will of course be using some standard shaders. But i will be getting in to using more complex ones for my water and vegetation solutions. 

Hope you guys enjoy - i'm excited for this one!

Replies