Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Modular Japanese Temple

kelheor
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
kelheor polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone.

I started to work on the new environment. The goal is to make highly flexible modular japanese temple set.
Here I will post the progress on that environment in a hope of getting get some valuable feedback.

Current toolset:
Blender
Substance Painter / Designer
Affinity Photo / Designer
Zbrush Core
Unreal Engine 4
World Machine + Geoglyph

Current state:
Blockout phase

Latest screenshot:

Replies

• kelheor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Due to the complexity of this environment, I collected pretty big amount of references. It's hard to publish them all here, so I will post only some of them.

• kelheor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blockout of some basic shapes.

• kelheor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing with different roof shapes. Roofs will probably be the hardest thing in this environment to model.

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice. I hope you finish.
  • kelheor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Continue blockout phase. Finally understood how to model shapes for roof details. Will refine them later, when I will be happy with my blockout (current goal is to make blockout for almost all future assets).

Added some basic materials to the objects to get a better vision of future environment. However, right now they are just for testing purposes because I even don't have a proper UVs for my models. Thinking about how I will do texturing in future and trying to find a balance between unique textures, texture atlases, and tiled textures. There won't be a lot of materials (wood in different colors, stone, roof tiles), but the problem is to add a proper amount of dirt/wearing/wetness.I can solve this by painting those details directly in UE4(vertex/texture painting), but the problem is that I need to do that each time when I add a new mesh to the scene. Maybe there is a way to add such effects procedurally inside UE4 inside the shader. Otherwise, I have to add those details inside textures and do a proper UV mapping for each model, which will be a not trivial task, because I'm planning to add a few hundreds of meshes. Any advice about texturing will be helpful.

• kelheor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • kelheor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a blockout of a landscape to start placing everything in a proper place.

• SameerAzimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SameerAzimi polycounter lvl 3
    Hey its looking good so far! Did you export the landscape textures out of worldmachine or did you do something else for that?
  • kelheor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey its looking good so far! Did you export the landscape textures out of worldmachine or did you do something else for that?
    I exported landscape layers and heightmap from World Machine. Current grass/rock textures right now are temporary(I'm planning to improve them), but if you want to know, I took them from Megascans and adapted in Substance Designer to fit my landscape material inputs (I'm using base color, normal and a packed map, which contains AO + Roughness + Metallic + Displacement maps). If you need more details about my workflow, you can ready my article here.