Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How do i fix this ??? (TOPOLOGY ISSUES)

Ayub_mu
null
Offline / Send Message
Ayub_mu null

This is my first post on poly-count (so if this kind of post is already there please do let me know ). 
I have been trying to do some topology practices in free time. trying to do sub-d modeling in a weird way to build up more fast and better techniques .Basically to know how much do i know hard surface .

lets cut to the chase here (i know   :'(:'(:'( ) So here are some low poly and turbo smooth versions of them . and
i don't know how to fix them fast or fix them at all also wanted to know what causes these pinching ?
i am using 3ds max 2017 (it doesn't mater which version but still).
A little help will be great guys thanks a bunch. :) 

and this one 
low poly :

turbo smooth set to 2.0

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need supporting loops. Or the round bumpy parts could be floaters.

A quick browse through this thread  should give you some ideas about how to support shapes.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    okay, it looks like you've got a circular base, connected two opposing verts and then bevelled the vert at the end making that triangle.

what you could do is add another edge in that triangle and connect it to the circle edge. it may result in unwanted angles since you're adding another edge loop. 

with the second problem you're having, you could get those details after you've baked your normal map by stamping them in if you're using substance painter or something similar. BUT if you really want it in your bake, then look into using 'floating geometry'

basically rather than having those bolts built into the mesh, simply have seperate pieces of highpoly floating above the base. it will bake into the normal map as if it's built in the mesh itself (if you do it right).

so check out those two options.