Home Career & Education

I want a part time job to support me but I've been through so many I'm having trouble.

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
With my money running very thin, I'm quickly trying to find a new job to help me finish my portfolio.

The problem for me though is that I've gone through so many part time jobs before that I'm going to have trouble adjusting my skills, especially when I spent my past 6 months on doing art.

Retail has given me PTSD and I really don't want to associate with them again.

I use to work food but the labor conditions they put me through was brutal I had to quit to not ruin my health.

I went through general labor/warehouse work but the fact there's no contract means they can fire people at will.

Edit: Basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows of other jobs I could try and how I could present my application to them.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    To be honest it sounds like you're making a lot of excuses and coming up with reasons to eliminate most possible part time jobs.  You'd do X except for <reason>, you'd do Y except you don't like it, you'd do Z except it is hard/not fun.

If you're truly in the position that you state, you have 2 weeks worth of savings left with which to support yourself, you will do what any other person in your position would do, which is to suck it up and take whatever comes your way.  Sure, it may not be fun and it obviously isn't what you would do if you had a choice, but we've all been there.  Find a job that will pay your bills, even if it sucks, and every day when you're at your shitty job hating how much it sucks, use that as motivation to *actually work on your portfolio*.

Edit: To be clear, when I say "actually work on your portfolio", I mean that you should focus on portfolio pieces geared toward landing you whatever sort of game/art related job you are apparently looking for.  Doing various experimental projects that don't seem geared toward any sort of actual job and eventually peter out are not going to get you any closer toward an industry job.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It's a bit unfortunate to call it excuse. I wouldn't mind doing these jobs if only they were solitary.

But the managers I was under were very abusive to me that I believe it damaged me psychologically. I'm still feeling the effects of this long after I quit and that's why it's affecting me now.

That's why I worry if I do these jobs again, I'm not going to have any real health left.
  • CrackRockSteady
    Oh okay.

Good luck with your job hunt.  Let us know how it goes.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Can I make a suggestion on what are all the possible jobs that are out there?

For example, how can I create a resume for landscaping? I really just want to try something else before resorting to the jobs I thought hurt me personally.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is there a country club where you live?  I've mowed greens as part of a seasonal groundskeeping staff, and that's fairly solitary and straightforward.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Yes, found a few country clubs. Their website's are sparse so I'm going to have to contact them in person (or phone?).
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Actually, there's something else I want to know.

The time it takes for me to apply for a new job, go to all these interviews, then wait for approval before finally starting the first day of work etc. Instead of that, what if I just work really hard and put together the environments I have on my computer?

What I'm really concerned with isn't just finding a new job, I wanted to know would studios help me while I'm under a lot of financial pressure?

That's why I held off for so long. I'm willing to finish what I have this week, but I was hoping a studio would understand if I show up for an interview, it's because I have nothing else left.
  • CrackRockSteady
    JordanN said:
    Actually, there's something else I want to know.

The time it takes for me to apply for a new job, go to all these interviews, then wait for approval before finally starting the first day of work etc. Instead of that, what if I just work really hard and put together the environments I have on my computer?

What I'm really concerned with isn't just finding a new job, I wanted to know would studios help me while I'm under a lot of financial pressure?

That's why I held off for so long. I'm willing to finish what I have this week, but I was hoping a studio would understand if I show up for an interview, it's because I have nothing else left.

I'm not sure I 100% understand your question, but it seems like you are asking if game studios will cut you slack/help you out because of your specific situation.  The answer is very likely "no".  If you had an amazing portfolio and a studio felt they just absolutely had to have you on their team they might offer to cover relocation costs and help you find a place to live, but a studio is not going to help you build your portfolio or give you any sort of special treatment because of your current financial situation.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I was betting on the later. I want to make a portfolio that was amazing enough a studio has to hire me.

But without any examples of artists being hired on zero capital, I just wasn't sure anymore. However, I'm still willing to risk it if that outcome exists.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    What about working at a movie theater or working as a janitor/custodian? 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    For example, how can I create a resume for landscaping? I really just want to try something else before resorting to the jobs I thought hurt me personally.

I've previously made use of online Resume resources tailored to various occupations, when applying for jobs.

Also a couple of strategies I've utilised were cold calling and door knocking my local area which resulted in positive outcomes. By that I mean an interview on one occasion, another for a time gainful employment before sustaining a workplace injury. So generally I've found persistence to be the key when coping with hardship in whatever form. Even though peculiar to my own set of circumstances a Government unemployment benefit only goes so far, to be honest barely enough too subsist upon let alone pay those ancillary day to day costs of living you never seem, well in my opinion actually get on top of.

At the moment supporting myself as a private security operative on a casual basis 'Day Job', I guess leveraging similar attributes attained during military service back in the 1980s. Now as an aligned suggestion perhaps think of what level of experience or be it aptitude you've acquired that might translate into certain occupations without the need to self fund additional training. For example computer literacy par for the course given our choice of medium which quite possibly lead to securing roles in data entry, IT help desk...etc.  

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    JordanN said:
    I have never once needed a resume for doing manual labor. Find some local businesses (some are based out of people's homes). Don't be hesitant to just shoot people emails (though a lot of the older generation prefer a call, all you have to do is ask if they're looking for any more labor). Many local businesses just want the manual labor, not paperwork, don't expect to go through a hiring process which means generally working illegally. Usually you can start the next day. The main thing they look for is someone that can:
    A. Be trusted to do the work and not slack off
    B. Be physically capable of doing the work, it is a hard job

JordanN said:
    I was betting on the later. I want to make a portfolio that was amazing enough a studio has to hire me.

But without any examples of artists being hired on zero capital, I just wasn't sure anymore. However, I'm still willing to risk it if that outcome exists.
    If you want to make an awesome portfolio you need to start showing work man. I know someone says this in every one of your threads these days and while sometimes it's a dig, it's coming from the right place. You've been talking about having some game that you've spent 100's of hours making assets for. Please show us this work. Good or bad, you must have something to show for more than 100 hours. 

Also could you clarify what you mean by hiring an artist on zero capital? Do you mean a business giving you like 1 months salary to get you on your feet because that's generally something you can negotiate for on the basis that you'll pay it back over a few paychecks. Most businesses will allow that type of arrangement.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Do you live in a city or a smaller town? Temp agencies are a beautiful thing man; I swear by them. Contact a few temp agencies around and tell them you're looking for work right away, and ask if you can come in for an interview. Temp agencies are usually geared towards office jobs, so don't be afraid to tailor your resume a bit (i.e. put down Microsoft Office, any office experience you have, etc). Then contact them on a semi-frequent basis.

If all goes well, you could be working short contract jobs really quickly. Time in between contract jobs will give you time to work on your portfolio. And in my experience, they won't wear you down. Don't turn down any work either, else they might stop calling. You don't sound like you're in any position to turn down work anyways.

Contact a few family members and friends. Let them know of your situation. You don't need to borrow money right now, but if it doesn't work out for you, you might need to borrow money in a few weeks, else you won't be able to eat. Check out this flowchart for spending money; https://i.imgur.com/CcEVQAV.jpg

Eating and shelter are more important than your portfolio, so focus on finding work and building a little savings, while working on your portfolio on the side.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly, by checking out your resume I'm going to assume you've got a degree or at least some college experience.  That shows an HR at wherever that you're qualified to function better than most.  I think if you're just looking for any ole job you've already gotten some solid advice here on this thread.  But, don't forgot about job apps like indeed for checking for stuff around your area.  

Best thing I can say is take some of the solid advice you've gotten already when it comes to finding work.  Buckle down on applying to jobs for a chunk of your day, and then focus on your folio.  And just remember these jobs are just stepping stones to something greater, so obviously they're going to suck.  But, not being able to pay your bills and eat sucks more.  So take what you can get! 

And I think the biggest thing I would say for making time for your portfolio is possibly time management.  Granted I don't know how your 9-5 operates, but I know a lot of artists myself included who have worked a full-time and part time while working on their folios.  Really at the end of the day we all have a 168 hours in one week, and a full-time job in most cases shouldn't take more than 50 hours.  Which still leaves a good chunk of time for food, rest, (possibly exercise), and art. 

Sometimes you gotta drag yourself through the dirt to be able to get yourself off the ground to be up and running.  Part-time jobs aren't glamorous, but if you really want to make art you'll let those shit jobs be your drive to work harder on your projects.  Good luck and fingers crossed you're able to find something! 
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Ashervisalis made a great suggestion about hitting up the office temp agencies. This is what I did when I needed a short term job while I was studying. Pay was good, working in an office was easy, and there is often weeks between each job which you can use to work on the folio