Home Career & Education

Part time Job Options

demsdabreaks
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
demsdabreaks polycounter lvl 4
Hey folks, wanted to get y'all thoughts on interesting and part time jobs that might be good until an artist can land a studio gig or a contract. I'm kind of working my portfolio but I have bills I have to pay, so I was hoping to get some creative ideas.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Chill, manual labor.

Like mowing golf greens.

Or in general, a job that respects a hard start and end time.  None of this "can you stay a little bit after?"
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    ^ What Brian said. Landscaping is a great one. Generally pay a few bucks on top of min wage (and most are full time), plus you get to be outside and when you come home all you'll want to do is be at your computer and have such an intense drive to never have to touch a lawn again that you'll be motivated to work on your portfolio.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Mindless manual labor that involves being outdoors, getting exercise etc is great. Be a furniture mover!  

A totally different approach is finding something that allows you to build skills that are closely related to working on games. Before working in the game industry, I worked at a tiny company doing animation for industrial training videos. I learned a lot about modeling, lighting, cinematics, particle effects, etc.  I stepped into the game industry with what were (at the time) considered close to 'senior level' skills, and my starting salary was better than many starting artists.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • demsdabreaks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demsdabreaks polycounter lvl 4
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    hahaha, this is pretty awesome, but I live in Phoenix, AZ, its going to hit 125 degrees folks!
    I understand, I've been helping people move, and all I want to do now is work on that FF sword I've been doing. 

There aren't a lot of studios out here @kevin