Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Modular Fantasy Town

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Elzean polycounter lvl 3
Hey!
Here is the video of an asset pack i just released:
http://youtu.be/KHBmXfSkD-c

As you can see in last picture the scene is made a a bunch of smaller modular pieces. Textures are Substances so there is a few option to customize them too.

It's not as great as many 3d art i see in this forum but i hope to get better :)

Hope you like it!

Asset Store

Twitter

Replies

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    Here is another house not shown in the video and made from all those pieces:

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work, what platform is this aimed at? looks almost like it could work on mobile? what did you do to keep textures to a minimum, is it using atlased textures or just a bunch of seperate textures and materials? The only thing that really stands out to me is the repeats on the floor, would be nice to see some sort of asset to make that look less repeated eg puddles or piles of leaves or even using vertex painting to have dirt in some places etc
  • Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    Ged said:
    nice work, what platform is this aimed at? looks almost like it could work on mobile? what did you do to keep textures to a minimum, is it using atlased textures or just a bunch of seperate textures and materials? The only thing that really stands out to me is the repeats on the floor, would be nice to see some sort of asset to make that look less repeated eg puddles or piles of leaves or even using vertex painting to have dirt in some places etc
    I can't test on mobile but i think it should work, the polycount is not that high and multiple models have LOD. I do use Atlas yes, the entire scene use 3 atlases, there is a separate material for floor as it was suppose to be usable for terrain. Everything was done in Substance Designer so there is a few options to change some shapes and colors. Actually thanks to the Substances, the entire package on the store is 26.7 MB :p (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/90075)

I agree the floor is kind of repetitive i tried to make a bit of variation on it, using a vertex shader would help yes. But i don't have any vertex painting tool and shader to offer, so i try to deal with whatever Unity has for free in the standard package.... But the end user can definitely create a few variations of the Substance with more or less dirt (or full dirt/grass) and use one of the tool on the store like "Vertex Tools Pro". I'm thinking about some sort of decals for puddles and other similar effects but i need to create a custom shader for it too, i will need to see if i'm able to do that. So i agree that some ways to add details would be great and if i have some success with that at some point i will definitely add it.

The pack mostly focus on House building but i try to add some other props when i can also depending on what other users may need :)

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    WIP of a well for the next update :)

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    Made some update :)

And updated the demo with some volumetric light effects from a free package (explained in the readme):