Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hardsurface Artist Portfolio Critiques

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! My name is Max Hök. I am looking forward to becoming a hardsurface artist. 3 years ago I started my studies at SAE Institute in Frankfurt / Germany. Previously, I had always just played arround with 3D softwares in which I progress my love to modeling. So I tried to learn as much as I can in the past 3 years and tried to build up a solid portfolio. My last big project was my bachelor thesis, in which I also learned a lot about VR. I would like to get a few critiques and maybe some existimations if you think my skill level is already good enough for an intern position in the industry. 

Link to my Portfolio: http://max-hoek.de/

Thanks a lot,
Max

Replies

• Croftyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
    I think there's a lot of empty space on your website that could be filled with larger images. Id say put your gun at the top as it seems to be your most polished piece. 
    It might be worth applying for a specific intern role then asking for feedback following the result. Do you have an area/position that you're interested in?
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Croftyness thanks for your critiques:) I had thought that I do the cockpit up, because there people can see that I can create things for a certain usecase and not just model things from a concept.  Because of the small pictures, these can be viewed by clicking directly in full view. Or do you think I should change it?
    In general I would initially still like to stay in Germany and best still frankfurt. Here there are companies like bluebyte, crytek or the foundry that would interest pretty much. In general I am however open and would also go directly to my absolute dream studios like bungie, dice or one of the call of duty studios. But there are not really open positions for hardsurface artists right now, soo yea.. 
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Your gun is your best piece so I'd def put that on top, VR cockpit project in the middle, and materials at the bottom. You can cut out the UI stuff in the VR project since you're shooting for hardsurface, and the video too, and maybe use about 5 of your best images for the project. In terms of your layout, my eyes are going right (image) to left (reading the text)  and I'm not sure what to click at first, the text highlights when I hover over it, but my initial thought was to click the image. I think condensing it down two about  3 pages it should read better :) 
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @xChris thank you! I got the UI thing, but do you think I really have to cut out the video as well? Thats the only part where you can see the usecase of my work and why I have done things like that.
    I also dont got you with the that: 

xChris
    said:
    In terms of your layout, my eyes are going right (image) to left (reading the text)  and I'm not sure what to click at first, the text highlights when I hover over it, but my initial thought was to click the image. I think condensing it down two about  3 pages it should read better :) 
    maybe you can explain it to me one more time  :#

Do you guys also check out my CV? What do you think about that, is it okay? And also okay to find? :p
    http://max-hoek.de/cv.html
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I like your Portfolio and i also like your Hero Weapon ^^
    Maybe combine The Airbus into "one" work. Since its a Game Prop, you can just keep the VR Version and add there your high poly screenshots. Or?
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Gazu , thanks I really appreciate that!:) At the beginning this was also my idea, but then I thought, because the highpoly part is already very big rather to make two different parts. But acually I dont know, thats why I am asking xD 
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    I would have to agree with combining the Airbus, The hard surface work on it is exceptional but so is the final result.  I think showing the process as a whole on one page would be a benefit.  Also wanted to say I love your hero weapon, went in to my reference folder as soon as I saw it!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    ;)
    Im not the only one who thinks so! ;)
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    MaxHoek said:
    @xChris thank you! I got the UI thing, but do you think I really have to cut out the video as well? Thats the only part where you can see the usecase of my work and why I have done things like that.
    I also dont got you with the that: 

xChris
    said:
    In terms of your layout, my eyes are going right (image) to left (reading the text)  and I'm not sure what to click at first, the text highlights when I hover over it, but my initial thought was to click the image. I think condensing it down two about  3 pages it should read better :) 
    maybe you can explain it to me one more time  :#

Do you guys also check out my CV? What do you think about that, is it okay? And also okay to find? :p
    http://max-hoek.de/cv.html
    You wanta to keep the recruiter or lead looking at your portfolio interested, these people usually don't have time to look at videos. If you want to keep it, I'd throw it at the very bottom. As for the layout, just try to keep it simple, check out artstations presets. There's no clutter of any type of text or designs,  just images.  CV looks good, just keep it  relevant to what you're doing i.e. carpenter experience, but maybe that'll benefit you since you'll have any eye for that type of stuff :D
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BeardedMike thanks for your opinion! haha, so cool to hear this! never get such a great feedback on my hero weapon before this thread. Such a honor  o:)

@Gazu yea, looks like I have to change it xD 

@xChris okay, maybe you are right. I will try to apply to jobs and get some feedback from them if it doesn`t work out for me.