Home Technical Talk

Maya outliner hiding or deleting nodes?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
micropolius polycounter lvl 3

Hi polycount,
I started learning maya a few weeks ago. I'm used to the layer manager in Max. 
My outliner is currently full of .... I think they are transformation nodes.
How do I hide them or get rid of them? How do I prevent from popping up in the future?

With Max layer manager you can see the objects per layer.
For example :
Gun_High_Layer
--trigger_hp
--barrel_hp
--stock_hp 
etc etc

I miss that function in maya is it hidden?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mostly by keeping "clean" as you work. Certain operations like boolean, combine or separate don't always clean up afterward in some cases, leaving behind those transforms. Deleting history usually clears them away if they are "live" so to speak, otherwise they are safe to delete. Best to check them one by one if you're unsure. The plus sign is an expando, you'll probably find greyed out shapes in there, which can either mean they're hidden or just empty leftovers.

Deleting history is something you'll want to get in the habit of doing while modeling in Maya. It's a cool feature, but history nodes become less helpful the more you work on a model. You can see the history chain via the channel box under Inputs. And speaking of channel box, the lower section is maya's display layers which you may want to look in to. I don't know how it compares with what you describe in Max.

Generally we create groups and nest/parent models inside them in the Outliner for organization of that kind, and also use layers for quick visibilty toggles.
  • micropolius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    micropolius polycounter lvl 3
    Ah I see. Thanks very insightfull. I wasn't sure if I could delete the transformation nodes. Thanks for confirming. 
    Coming from Max. Maya is not easy to learn, very technical. But thanks again for the insightfull post!