Home Technical Talk

swap able clothes for a 3d model

DZ_23
vertex
Offline / Send Message
DZ_23 vertex
Hi!

I am wonder how a game with different swap able clothes for characters can be created. Games like the sims, dragon age and so on.
I need to know how is the process. One silly way could be make character with different clothes and then rig them separately. This is really hard and time consuming way and I am sure this is not the right way.

Another way is model the character naked, rig and animate that and  then make different clothes for that separately. but how to make this clothes work with the character`s animations?

I am appreciate any help and suggestion. I am using 3ds max and zbrush.

Thank you

Replies

• Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    You basically want to attach these swappable meshes to the character's skeleton. Some clipping between character and armor is almost always unavoidable (as you can see in plenty of production titles).
  • DZ_23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DZ_23 vertex
    Thanks for the reply. I think I got the idea. I should skin each cloth separately with related bones of skeleton. Right? For example skin the pants with legs bones.

But just in case is there any quicker way too? because I want to avoid skinning process because it is very hard and time consuming. Is it possible to extract the skin information for example for legs and then apply that to pants somehow?
  • DZ_23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DZ_23 vertex
    Klawd said:
    You basically want to attach these swappable meshes to the character's skeleton. Some clipping between character and armor is almost always unavoidable (as you can see in plenty of production titles).
    Thanks for the reply. I think I got the idea. I should skin each cloth separately with related bones of skeleton. Right? For example skin the pants with legs bones.

But just in case is there any quicker way too? because I want to avoid skinning process because it is very hard and time consuming. Is it possible to extract the skin information for example for legs and then apply that to pants somehow?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You can use the skin wrap modifier in Max.
    https://youtu.be/QSzWg7aF5Zw
  • DZ_23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DZ_23 vertex
    You can use the skin wrap modifier in Max.
    https://youtu.be/QSzWg7aF5Zw

Thank you for the useful video.