Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Weapon Crate, Looking for Critique

Oliverr
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Oliverr polycounter lvl 8
This is the first 3D project that I have fully completed. I got a lot of help from some very nice people in discord who took time to give me advice along the way. I'm looking for some more critiques about any part of the project. From the color scheme to the amount of polygons, anything will help me improve  :) .

Programs Used:
- 3Ds Max
- Substance Painter 2

Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6rtDt

Edit:
Changed white lights to caution stripes

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The crate looks really good! My main complaint is the white strips are reeeeally white. I'm not actually able to tell what material they are made of. I'd also have toned down the damage to the corner area a bit. You did really well on this!
  • Oliverr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The crate looks really good! My main complaint is the white strips are reeeeally white. I'm not actually able to tell what material they are made of. I'd also have toned down the damage to the corner area a bit. You did really well on this!
    Thank You! I appreciate the kind words. The white strips are supposed to be lights, but I agree they are too white.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Question: Why are there lights? What is the purpose of them? I would change them to simple yellow marking and maybe add one or two small "position lights"
  • Oliverr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling said:
    Question: Why are there lights? What is the purpose of them? I would change them to simple yellow marking and maybe add one or two small "position lights"
    I got the idea for the lights from a few of my references/inspirations:

I honestly haven't thought of a purpose for them. Now that people are pointing it out they are kind of bugging me too. Going to hop in substance and change them to hazard stripes or something. Thank you for the critique!

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I was going to suggest to include bloom and lens flare (even though I find the effect corny but here it would help sell that it's a lightsource and not some white strip).
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I'd say you can clearly tell that you tried to take both of your inspiration images and include them into your design.
    What happened is that you got that very round edged lid mixed with the angled bottom part. Ideally you want to be consistent and go for either of the two unless you really know what you are doing.

I think the material treatment is pretty neat. Good Job!

Next time you could try starting from a concept or simply redoing the Borderlands Crate.. that will ease you into the design side of things. Designing Stuff is really hard and it's not something you will nail in the beginning. Focus on Execution.
  • Oliverr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay said:
    I'd say you can clearly tell that you tried to take both of your inspiration images and include them into your design.
    What happened is that you got that very round edged lid mixed with the angled bottom part. Ideally you want to be consistent and go for either of the two unless you really know what you are doing.

I think the material treatment is pretty neat. Good Job!

Next time you could try starting from a concept or simply redoing the Borderlands Crate.. that will ease you into the design side of things. Designing Stuff is really hard and it's not something you will nail in the beginning. Focus on Execution.
    Yeah, the hardest part for me by far was the designing. I tried to take stuff from a bunch of borderlands crates and make my own unique one, I actually had planned to make a inside to it but I was having a hard time figuring that out so I decided against it. Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind for my next project.
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    I am liking the roughness of the green material, but I think it could use some more variation in the base colour. Like that borderlands crate.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    JordanN said:
    I was going to suggest to include bloom and lens flare (even though I find the effect corny but here it would help sell that it's a lightsource and not some white strip).
    Or you could try an emissive map.

Emissive maps may be something that you want to look into for future projects. :smiley: