Home Career & Education

Stylized Game Assets

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Gallamanji polycounter lvl 7

Can anyone recommend a good online course for creating stylized game assets?

Thank you!

Replies

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Stylized can mean a lot of things, perhaps you'd be better to study the game/genre you wish to emulate, then reproduce it. Making a stylized game asset is really the same as realistic ones except in maybe poly count and handpainted textures (which I'm sure there are many tutorials on how to create handpainted textures since it was the norm for so long). Otherwise it's mainly an issue of making forms in the same proportions as other works in the style which can't really be taught but more accomplished through practice really, at least in my eyes. No course will magically make your eye better at picking up nuances of form, but lots of practice with proper critique can. 
  • Gallamanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks. Here's my portfolio btw if you want to critique..
    www.artstation.com/artist/samgalloway
    Course/tutorials any recommendations greatly appreciated for how to paint textures or general workflow. Not looking for magic, I usually play tanks anyway ;)
    One style I'd like to make assets in is like similar to that of Wildstar or Ratchet and Clank
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what software do you want to use? There are tutorials for doing stylized stuff in a variety of different software.  Does this interest you perhaps? https://cubebrush.co/mb/products/1ztdpw
  • Gallamanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brilliant man, thank you very much. I use max and substance and zbrush but am open to any others, have experience in a few. Looking for mainly hard surface assets but this tutorial is great, thanks buddy