Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lady of the Sith - Need Help & Advice

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
liketotallyakid polycounter lvl 6
hey guys, this is my first time on polycount! i hear it's a great place to connect with other artists and get amazing help and critique. if you can let me know what you think to improve this piece i will be more thankful than i can describe.

it's based on a concept by Marcin Koszalski, (link to his concept here) because as soon as i saw it i just couldn't resist making something like it in 3D.

it's very frustrating right now because i know it's not quite there yet, but i can't put my finger on it. is the trooper texturing bad? is the cloak material off? the sabers composed right? can the lighting be better? I'm working on adding some more smoke to the mid ground, but that's taking a lot of time and i don't know what to do with everything else in the meantime.
if you can help me out with any suggestions and advice, or anything that stands out to you, please, i'm begging.

Thanks a lot, and i really appreciate you trying to help me make this better!

P.S. base female model in DAZ3D, all else done in blender, and textures from poliigon.com with some hand painting.

#StarWars #female #character 

Replies

• liketotallyakid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I updated the lighting and started introducing some more background elements. I will change the pose from here, and try to come up with a decent color grade to find a look that feels right.

any advice will be really helpful, let me know if anything stands out!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Her hand position doesn't feel right.  In the original concept, there is this graceful, but dominant palm downward shehas.  With the way you have her posed now, it's like she's actively choking someone in front of here where there doesn't seem to be the person.

I make the argument for the original concept pose: palm downwards, as if she has just completed an exerting task as oppsoed to actively doing something.

• liketotallyakid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update 2

i'm gonna try to focus more on the character now, i've spent too much time exploring which way i wanna take the image.

super super thankful for advice if you have any XD
  • liketotallyakid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 3 - detailing the lightsabers:

i've shelved the project for a few days to get a little refreshed. I'm now back at it, and the plan is to tackle individual things one after the other. 

I'm probably gonna procrastinate working on the character till the very end, so up next maybe the stormtroopers, or the ¿decapitated? helmet thing

still eager for any advice XD
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The rain, smoke, and flares are a bit much and are distracting in update (2). I liked how you had it originally in the OP. 

Just my 2 cents.  
  • liketotallyakid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo thanks! I definitely agree with the smoke. I'll tone everything down and try to focus more on the character
  • liketotallyakid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 4

I'm afraid this is as far as I can take this. i was hoping it would come out better, but i have no idea how to improve it from here.

if you have any advice, I will be more than grateful!