Home Technical Talk

Agisoft photoscan DUMB cleaning "floating" points?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Agisoft photoscan fuckin* cleaning "floating" points?

Hello is there some method or program to more quickly clean unwanted "floating" islands of unnecessary points in dense points clouds in agisoft photoscan? (see the picture below).
I need to clean these points out (Delete them) but carefully selecting them manually via free form selection tool might be quite slow (when you have a lot of files to process, or the model is more complex, or simply when there are a lot of these "noise" points "clouds".
How to clean it more quickly...? In some other program, which? Which tool to use?

https://s9.postimg.org/620qukypp/Agisoft_Floating_Little_Island_Of_Isolated_Points.jpg

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Get reality capture. No manual point cloud cleanup and it is so much faster.
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
    I do not have the money... and i already have acces to photoscan, so not really an option for me currently...
    SO questions:

1) In what software can i clean this mess automatically or more efficiently?
    2) What do you mean (just for info) that reality capture "no manual" cleaning...? Like that it produces ALWAYS points without "mess" ?
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I think RC has a solution that anything out of focus will get discarded, saving you a lot of cleanup/masking time. I haven't tested the program myself though, just heard people saying it has this feature.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Yeah, there is no point cloud cleanup in RC.
    OP, you can get 3 months for $99. There is also a demo on their website if you want to test the workflow. I don't think you can export meshes from the demo.

I think agisoft is a non starter for production use. Its been a while since I loaded it up but I wouldn't even attempt to build meshes from my camera's full resolution images. For example, I have a small 100 (35 megapixel) image scan processing in RC. I am expecting it to take just over an hour to process a high quality mesh. If I was still using photoscan I would have to process with downsampled photos, do a manual point cloud cleanup phase, and I would still be expecting 5-8 hours for a much lower quality model.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @AlecMoody  have you tried Adesk Recap? I believe it's free to use and is on par with RC. I'm thinking of giving photogrammetry another try and Recap looks like a good option. I did some tests a few years back using Agisoft and didn't like the results/workflow/cleanup at that time.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I haven't tried it yet but that sounds promising.