Home Technical Talk

What's it like working with CAD software/jobs compared to modeling/entertainment in 3dsmax/Maya?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I got laid off from my full-time job at a simulator company due to lack-of-work and have been finding Connecticut to be pretty dry in terms of companies that work in real-time games or simulators.

I did notice there does seem to be a heck of a lot of jobs though in the architectural and draftsman-type positions, usually stating either it would be creating electrical diagrams , 3D models/engineering, or architectural renderings in software under the generic title "CAD."

I'm uncertain if having the skillset in modeling real-time props and environments would still apply? If I were to work at such a job that lists software such as solidworks, revit, AutoCAD, etc. would skills with 3ds max and maya transfer at all? I can't seem to figure out if they're similar tools, if 3ds max is even considered a CAD tool on these job descriptions, or if it was different exactly how hard or easy would it be to learn compared to Max/Maya/Modo/Blender/Zbrush/etc.

I did try to get a trial of solidworks to see if the workflow was similar, but unfortunately they don't seem to offer trials and the software is definitely priced towards companies instead of individuals. I can't really justify shelling out hundreds of dollars for a training session on a hypothetical job when I can barely make rent after being laid off as it is.

Any feedback from people who have used such software or worked in the field would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    In comparison to learning Max/Maya, CAD programs are relatively simple. I learned both AutoCad and Fusion360 in a weekend each. Now I'm not saying I learned every single tool or feature but enough to be proficient to complete projects.

Fusion 360 is a great solids/nurbs modeler and is free. I would say it's more important to have a basic understanding of the construction industry and its terminology. 

Also, having a realtime background is a good thing these days in Arch-vis as that industry is poised to embrace Unity/UE4 realtime workflows more commonly.

Also, if you're skilled in Max that's a bonus as it's very well entrenched in Arch-vis.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I tried the same thing years ago. I did it with CAD and stuck at it for 2 weeks, after which I decided I would rather be a part time mail man or wash dishes to make ends meet. I really didnt like the 2d vector drawing experience especially after the luxury of ZBrush and Max.

However someone did a weapon here in SpaceClaim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BnzWjqInj4 The software looks really interesting.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @kanga thanks for the link. This does look like and interesting program.

At least it did look interesting until I found out that it costs $3300......I'll stick with the free Fusion 360, I think. :)
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    I'll stick with the free Fusion 360, I think. :)
    freeish*
    *Free for startups (under 100K), hobbyists and enthusiasts (using the service on a personal basis that is not for commercial, professional or for-profit use). Otherwise $300/year (standard) or $1500/year (ultimate). See Terms of service.
    If you have a promo code, you can also use it for a limited time in the free commercial subscription mode (see also the note in the TOS above).