Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Quixel Suite 2.3 - Will this suite ever be stable enough for commercial work?

scruffyhugo
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
scruffyhugo polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys, have there been any further stability improvements since v2.3? 

Specifically, the current bugs gumming up the works are:
- Custom painted dynamask "deleted" when another is created (lost many hours and work to this).
Clicking "clear" on the 3dpaint menu before painting doesn't always work. I can sometimes work around by going back and opening and closing the "vanished" dynamask. Since the edge wears using curvature settings isn't as strong as the old legacy ddo, I mostly rely on custom dynamask painting to create my worn edges. 

- Crashing on save. Cannot find a consistent pattern or cause, but it's one of several things preventing me using this for client work. It's great for polishing my reel, but no way in hell could I stick to a deadline, or meet consistent milestones with current instability.

- Restrictive waiting times, particularly with the "saving pending changes*" message. I've a powerful pc (4ghz, 32 ram, titan 1080, SSD HD), with most layers compressed, one single mesh, on a 4k map. I'm no programmer, but it really should not take 5-10 minutes to "recover" from moving a dynamask slider (or moving it back). I've come across comments on forums about the slow speed, with Teddy or Eric claiming it runs quite fast on their laptops. Maybe an un-edited screen recording of this might help give users an idea of how long they should expect to wait on a change to appear?

The ability to control each map to this degree is a strong feature, and the presets give a nice working base to go from (over say, substance for e.g.). However, this is the third time I've set aside weeks to properly learn and implement this suite, and I also am at my wits end. I know it's a "one man team", but since this suite was used to fund megascans, it might be worth redirecting some of those funds back to ddo. I'm sure this is what many other users are thinking. 

I've spent hours going through the documentation (such as it is), and "tutorials" (which more closely resemble technical demo's advertising the product) and working through the kinks that is Quixel. This isn't just me, it isn't my pc, nor my process. One quick search on google or the poly forums shows just how many issues this thing has had from the start (regardless of how transparent the bug-reporting process has been).
It's a great plugin, with huge potential. However, I can't use this to quote a client, no matter how much I want to. Whether you're sorry to hear this is irrelevant, we're professionals, this is an industry. Not addressing some of these core issues with 2.0+ does not encourage myself, nor any of my peers, to pursue megascans, since there's no indication it's any more stable.

One last point, just to drive this home. A couple of years ago, I was among a half-dozen to dozen of my peers who were tinkering with DDo. Currently, I know of no colleagues who have come back to it. They have though jumped onto substance painter pretty quickly. So if you'd like to keep up with the one-man-show approach that "can't be helped, for better or worse", then that's your prerogative. Consequently, this will leave users with no choice but to move to the competition. I doubt megascans would remain unscathed by such a move. 

Thanks for reading. Damian out.

Replies

• radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    It's used commercially currently.
    Often.
  • scruffyhugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scruffyhugo polycounter lvl 3
    @radiancef0rge ye-es, I've seen their promo's
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    @radiancef0rge is correct, Suite is used quite often in commercial work. Lots of games today utilize it in some form or another. Sometimes as the primary tool, sometimes as a supplementary tool.

Regarding the issues you've mentioned, it sounds like there's some kind of underlying trouble that might be resolved by simply uninstalling and then reinstalling to a new directory to clean out any potential registry issues that might be causing conflicts. If that doesn't help, running PS as admin once, closing it, and then running the Suite afterward may clear it up for you as well.

If you're able to provide video of the issues you're describing, solving them will be significantly easier. I'm sorry about the trouble - but I will need more information in order to troubleshoot this further.