Home Technical Talk

Mirror animation keys in Maya using Human IK

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
Ok, so I'm super stubborn and I like to hate my self so I use Human IK to make my animations from scratch. I'm a generalist and I know my way around most of the art pipeline for game characters but I've never delved super deep into rigging enough to make my own crazy IK/FK Rigs for humanoids... so I always just stuck with Human ik. 

Its needless to say that it has several little quirks, most I can deal with, but it is really finicky with animation layers (it HATES them) and most animation mirroring tools I've found so far, don't work. I've used Studio Library in the past and I think it used to work in 2015, but its been a while since I've animated at all. Now that I'm getting back into it, i'm using Maya 2016, it lets me save poses and selection sets but it wont want to hear anything about mirror tables or animations, only concerning Human IK that is. So If anybody has insight on why its not working I would really appreciate it! 

Alternatively, could anybody recommend a mirroring tool that would work with Human IK or even better, a better FK/IK auto-rig system all together? That would make my DAY! I'm starting a new project and I might as well stop dragging this rig around specially if its gonna make me lose all my hair!

Cheers

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    If you have a characterized HIK Rig, you can simply switch "mirror Animation" on under Retarget Specific on the HIKProperties Node
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Red9 Animation Tools on custom rigs and on Advance Skeleton. Basically it puts an attribute, onto a controller that tells it how to mirror. Red9 also has a pose library that is really handy.

I also highly recommend Advance Skeleton, it creates high quality biped and quadruped rigs, its very flexible. 
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for responding! I'll be checking those out Mark! 

Antweiler, I check out the mirror features, I can tell it actually mirrors my animation,  but it also seams to rotate the hip node by 180 degrees. Also, do you think there would be something that only mirrors my pose rather then the whole animations track? Sorry if my original post wasn't clear about that. 

• rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little Update, 

I found that Mirror table, available here, seams to be working good! The creator does not guaranty that it will work for 2016, but so far, everything is running smoothly. 

I'll be looking into more auto-rigging tools, but for now, I think this will be working for me! :D