Home Technical Talk

Time to change my pc?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
HazeusView polycounter lvl 6
Ok then, I want to create 3D characters for games, but after the sculpt I have always problems using TopoGun and Substance Painter, they lag a lot and it is impossible to work with them. The components of my pc portable are the following:
-Intel Core I7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
-8 GB RAM
-NVIDIA GEFORCE GT540M - 2GB
-500 GB SSD & 500 GB HDD

It's an old computer that I've upgraded where I could, I think the problem is my video card, so I googled some computers and found an HP OMEN 870 AT 1.400 € with the following features:
-Intel core I7 6700k 4 GHz
-16 GB RAM
-1 TB HDD & 256 SSD
-NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1070A 8.192 MB

Is it a good computer for my purposes? Is it worth spending that money?

Replies

• YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    Check this thread:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/173350/upgrading-or-building-a-new-pc-this-is-the-thread-for-you#latest
    Lots of valuable information in there.

About you pc I can't say much, that is for you to decide. The thing that I took into account with my computer is how much time I was losing on rendering, starting up software and the amount of waiting because my cache was full. I eventually spent about 2k on my computer and I have to say it is worth every euro.

What specs would you want from your new build, how much are you willing to spent and can you upgrade in the future? Again, it is up to you.
  • HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check this thread:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/173350/upgrading-or-building-a-new-pc-this-is-the-thread-for-you#latest
    Lots of valuable information in there.

About you pc I can't say much, that is for you to decide. The thing that I took into account with my computer is how much time I was losing on rendering, starting up software and the amount of waiting because my cache was full. I eventually spent about 2k on my computer and I have to say it is worth every euro.

What specs would you want from your new build, how much are you willing to spent and can you upgrade in the future? Again, it is up to you.

Oh, thank you! You've been very helpful
  • HazeusView
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UP:  But is it more powerful a pc with a gtx1070A 8gb video card or another one that has 2 gtx980 4gb video cards? Does this second pc uses them simultaneously while I'm using (for example) Substance Painter ? Thank you
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That probably depends on the applications, if they are set up to take advantage of bridged video cards or not. If not, you'll only be using one. Or if you have a monitor for each

It might be that newer video cards and drivers will automatically do it for the application without the need for the app to be built to take advantage, but it used to be that the app had to take advantage of it, which most did not. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 8GB 1070 would be better in your case. SLI setups have various drawbacks, like you don't get 2x4GB = 8GB ram, you only get 4GB ram total out of them. Substance Painter works best with a lot of VRAM, so 8GB wins here. Some apps don't have any benefit at all from SLI either.