Home Technical Talk

[Solved] Issue with normals after posing in Zbrush

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Elithenia polycounter
As per my normal workflow, I modelled a character in Zbrush, then took it into Maya for retop. Once the low poly was made, I then textured in Substance painter2. All well and done. Then as I normally would do (because I just don't get posing in Maya just yet) I took the low poly into Zbrush again, and posed it. Aaand then whenever I apply the texture materials to my now posed model in marmoset.. they turn out checker board-y.
With another material, it is smooth. But when I apply any baked texture to it, it turns out like this.
I've checked the baked textures, and there is no lines on them, there's no checker marks on them...... 

I googled. Found that it might be that the normals needed to be unlocked. tried that. Didn't work. Tried to harden the edges, then soften them again. Didn't work.
I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with it. 

If anyone has been through the same, and knows what to do..... I would be sooo grateful! <3
Thank you for taking the time to read through this. Below is a picture of how the textures look in marmoset toolbag 3 after posing. 

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    have you checked if the uv-vertices are welded? click-select a single one and move it, see if the geo is still held together at all.

in Z there's a setting tool->im/export/mrg (uv coords) that may need to be ticked.

• Dumbanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    Assuming the verts are the same between your working un-posed model and your posed model that's broken, you could attempt making a blend shape in Maya, and using that in Marmoset.  

Otherwise if I had to guess to the root of the problem, I would double check the vertex normals didn't get changed with the Zbrush export, or that they aren't locked or somehow different from the baked version that works.  Hope that makes sense.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It looks like a classic case of the UVs being individually disconnected and flipped to me. 
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Thank you so much for your answers! 

I went through them and checked once I got home. Sadly haven't gotten it to work again. Looks like I will have to redo the posing in maya. 

@thomasp I checked, and I even tried to re-weld them. Didn't seem to change anything. When trying to move them, they were connected already in Maya and same in Zbrush.

@Injun_Joe They should be unlocked. Tried unlocking them as well. I tried to re-export it from Zbrush, double checking all settings. Couldn't get it to work. Haven't tried the blendshapes though, so hopefully that might work!

@cryrid hm.... I will need to check this again!

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    @cryrid
    ...... I will kiss you if you don't hide! That was the problem!! Thank you! I feel like a massive stoopid newbs right now. But I learned something! :D  Thank you!!!

@thomasp You were right! I only checked the geo though... and not the Uv's -.- Still get a kiss! :D

now just to figure put how to put them back together without fudging the bakes :/