Home Career & Education

How do you gain work experience as an aspiring concept artist?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
juelle polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!

I'm about to graduate by the end of July and I was just wondering if you guys have advice to an aspiring concept artist who wants to gain work experience?  From my research, when I see job posts looking for concept artists they mostly require someone who already has experience or published titles. What are the possible ways that you can do that may be included in resume?

*Noting that there aren't any local studios in my country that have concept artist positions. From what I know, they're mostly looking for 2d artists who do vector art illustrations for mobile games. Although there is Ubisoft but like many others they require: 
  • Minimum 3 years' experience in concept art, in the games industry-preferably with experience in working on highly realistic console game titles

Replies

• Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly, having a killer portfolio is definitely going to be first and foremost.  I've heard stories of people applying for senior positions with no experience, but they've had rocking portfolios and have landed jobs.

I would say see what studios are around you, or what studios you really want to work for and start to cater your work towards them.  Plus, you can always look for a small team to join to get experience!  There's a whole job section here on polycount, reddit,  and also other game art focused sites.  

Hope this stuff helps!
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    You could do a tiny bit of work on no-budget Indie games. Just enough to be able to show off something you did, and say 'I delivered this on time, and the client was happy with it'. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    portfolio...portfolio.....portfolio. The end. Done.

ok a bit more in depth :P Once you have reached a professional level of output, things tend to fall in place. Im not saying they will fall in your lap, but with some concentrated effort, outreach and a well tailored portfolio, doors will open. You need to be confident in your abilities and being able to clearly demonstrate your skill/value via an amazing portfolio is the main way to do that.

If you want to show you can work on a deadline, join any of multitude of art contests that pop up on a monthly basis, and document the entire journey on a thread or blog. 

many times that 3 years experience is simply put there to help filter out people who are unsure of their abilities, or complete rookies who are not putting out professional quality work. Trust me, if your work is amazing and you somehow don't have any paid professional experience, people won't mind. 

In most cases people are going to look at your portfolio and then your resume, it's your job to have them 90% sold on you at the portfolio step. And really, all that comes down to is putting your head down and grinding on your skills through massive output over time. 

I know plenty of industry artists who got laid off and havent gotten a job even with 5-10 years experience beacause they simply didnt update their portfolio before sending out resumes. Words on paper dont mean shit, your ability to demonstrate what you are brining to the table is everything.

yes, degrees and work experience can help with governmental red tape if you need a work visa, but to be honest, most of the time a company is not going to pay to relocate a junior artist across the globe, they usually try and steal more senior people. So just focus on having a dope level of output and great work, and someone will notice. Don't let some random HR words on a job requirements posting stop you from putting yourself out there and applying if you feel confident you can do the job.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    portfolio...portfolio.....portfolio. The end. Done.

ok a bit more in depth :P Once you have reached a professional level of output, things tend to fall in place. Im not saying they will fall in your lap, but with some concentrated effort, outreach and a well tailored portfolio, doors will open. You need to be confident in your abilities and being able to clearly demonstrate your skill/value via an amazing portfolio is the main way to do that.

Job position at Treyarch wanted 2 shipped AAA titles and 4-5 years experience. I had 10 months experience at a smaller studio.

Applied anyways. Now I'm working here.

Stop worrying about requirements and instead focus on how to get your work above the level of work you see coming out of there!
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    Yes ^ to my knowledge, the requirements are just there to hold you from applying if you think you don't have what it takes, if you think like that, you probably don't.
    Maybe you can fish some freelance work while you're looking for full time work, that way you'll get some experience
  • o0Ampy0o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o0Ampy0o null
    Businesses typically post requirements hoping to attract good candidates to choose from for a given position but will consider anyone who looks good enough. At that point many other factors come into play. The odds are better than you might think. But you must bring something to the table to get in the game. For instance, Adam Phillips is a self-taught artist who dropped out of high school and did not attend college. He worked hard on his own to develop his skills and created a decent portfolio which landed him a job at Disney Australia where he worked for 10 years until he quit to go freelance. He is currently a storyboard artist working on the TV series, Bob's Burgers.